• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Brumating necessary?

Kitty

You rang?
If you have snakes you don't intend to breed, is it necessary to brumate (I hope that's the right word/usage) them? If they don't brumate, will the females still become sexually receptive and will the males still go nuts (technical term :) ) looking for girls?

I brumate my adults regardless of my breeding intentions for them the following spring...mainly because this gives me some time off (!) but also because it mimics nature a little. It's not necessary for their health though, so you skip it if you like.

It's also not necessary for breeding. I haven't brumated mine, and both my adult males are in the mood for breeding. I'm only breeding one of them, though, and the other one is pretty annoyed! Mine are in a room with a window and I think they can tell day length even though I keep the temperatures fairly constant - I don't cool them and have heating all year. I successfully bred a pair last year, first time male and female, no brumation and 100% hatch rate from ten fertile eggs - not that this is a case controlled study: some people will tell you their results are better after brumation.

Jessica71 said:
.... Mine are in a room with a window and I think they can tell day length even though I keep the temperatures fairly constant - I don't cool them and have heating all year. I successfully bred a pair last year, first time male and female, no brumation and 100% hatch rate from ten fertile eggs - not that this is a case controlled study: some people will tell you their results are better after brumation.

That's intriguing. The room I plan to set up in gets excellent natural light year-round. I rather dreaded dealing with trying to chill everyone down for breeding. I may try your way. And, if it results in smaller clutches, I'm okay with that, too.

Thanks!

Back