• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bugs In the Tank

Twoboyz

Hi,

I recently set up a new tank. I noticed that there are these tiny little black beetle looking bugs, almost like little tiny armadillos. Now some of them are floating in the water dish. I'm guessing they came from the wood that I bought? Does anyone know what these are and if they pose any danger to my snake? Thanks.

I have some sort of tiny black beetles that are all over in my house. I find them in the sink, in the feeding bins, (covered!) in the dog food...

You could bake the wood hides and branches at 150 for a couple hours, and switch substrate to aspen, which normally doesn't have any bugs. All the woodland soil type substrates seem to have bugs. Of course, you can always bake the substrate, too. Too much work for me- I love aspen.

Okay, so I just noticed that one of the pieces of wood has a bunch of little holes allover it. I saw the little bug crawl in the hole. They also fly around. Could they be termites? I'm afraid I'll stress out the snake if I take all of the wood out and bake it, but the bugs are grossing me out. Advice on doing it now or waiting until he's more acclimated. I just brought him home yesterday. Thanks

Update - Found a bug on my sons bed. The woods in the oven and the tank is completely empty and wiped out. All new bedding and then I'm phasing in the wood a little at a time until I know the bugs are gone for good. Don't mind a snake infested house, but I draw the line at a bug infested house. :)

Termites look like ants, pretty much. Paper towel rolls make excellent hides- snakes love them. Plastic fake rock hides are nice, too.

Back