• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bullsnakes off feed in winter like corns?

Bobo's Mama

proud corn mommy!
I got Duke, a bullsnake, October 27th. So far, I've only been able to get him to eat twice. He's about 90g. He is probably an '08, but I don't know for sure. I got him from a guy on Craigslist that needed to rehome him. The first time I fed him was a week after I got him (11/3). I fed him a f/t fuzzy. He ate it in a seperate feeding bin, like all my others. The next week, I tried the same, and he refused. I did a little reading around, and read some stuff that said they like to eat secretly sometimes, so I was able to get him to eat by putting the fuzzy on top of one of his hides and leaving it there overnight. That was on 12/11. I've tried the same thing again, and he continues to refuse. So I tried live last week, and he almost seems scared of it. He struck at it, but only defensively. I've been keeping his tank the same as the corns, right around 85*. He seems perfectly normal. Hisses and bluffs. He doesn't appear to be losing weight either. Do you think its just a winter fasting?

Is 85 constant air temp? Are you back or belly heating and what source? He may be a bit too warm! Also, a cheap little LED light can be used to stretch out the photoperiod -I've put those in my hatchling racks and feeding picked up. Bullsnakes also seem to do better on slightly smaller meals than a corn their size might handle. Best wishes.

Is 85 constant air temp? Are you back or belly heating and what source? He may be a bit too warm! Also, a cheap little LED light can be used to stretch out the photoperiod -I've put those in my hatchling racks and feeding picked up. Bullsnakes also seem to do better on slightly smaller meals than a corn their size might handle. Best wishes.

85* is the temp on the glass right in the middle of the belly heat that is provided by a UTH. I have very natural lighting in my room because I have a huge window 65X50, as well as a skylight. He is currently in a 10g. The meals seemed appropriate, definitely not too large. I also had read about the meals not being too large. I just hope his feeding picks up. I worry about the little guy, plus how is he supposed to become a monster 7' bully boy if he won't eat! Plus I don't know for sure whether he is male or female. I have no experience with sexing and lost contact with the breeder I know that probed my others.

None of my bulls refuse during winter. I own bulls, pines and gophers and they all eat for me.
I suggest doing the container feeding but place them in a small container with a warm fuzzy and place a lid back on it and leave him alone. I do this with my difficult or to squirrelly feeders like my milks. I place them in large deli dishes and then leave them alone. They typically eat for me.

None of my bulls refuse during winter. I own bulls, pines and gophers and they all eat for me.
I suggest doing the container feeding but place them in a small container with a warm fuzzy and place a lid back on it and leave him alone. I do this with my difficult or to squirrelly feeders like my milks. I place them in large deli dishes and then leave them alone. They typically eat for me.

Thanks! I tried that tonight, and it worked.

Back