• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bummed.

cornsnakegirl

So, in January I found a local corn snake breeder. "Finally!" I thought. She told me she wouldn't have any babies until april, and had no snakes for sale, so she asked if I could wait. I said I could -- it would give me time to gather the supplies and whatnot. She said she would have babies in April, then later said April-May.

So I contacted her yesterday, and one of her females JUST laid eggs today. Now, from Google, eggs take about two and a half months to hatch, so it'll be more like June, if even then, before I get a baby...

It just makes me sad because I see other breeders with babies already, and I'm holding out for one of hers because shes local, well-priced and Canada isn't like US where you can just have a snake shipped for $50 :(

I just wish she hadn't gotten my hopes up back in January! I feel like I'm missing out. Sigh...

Any one else go through something similar?

well, it happens sometimes. Maybe she was planning to have her eggs laid and hatched by about now, but really it's entirely up to the snakes to make their plans.

I managed to find a reptile store near me in Ontario, is there nothing like that around you?

We do our best to plan but these snakes have a mind of their own and we have no choice but to go by their schedule. I normally don't have babies till July but this year I have had girls all over the place. I have eggs that will hatch in 3-4 weeks, girls that have yet to lay and a girl that has yet to breed. I know it is frustrating but if it is a good breeder it will be worth the wait.

A couple of years ago I paired up my breeders early, in January, to try to get earlier hatchlings. I still got pippies in July! The snakes just wouldn't fit around my schedule at all, they bred, laid and hatched when they were ready.

Two months isn't so long to wait. You'll have the snake for 15+ years, so you'll have plenty of time together!

The one key attribute of a Corn keeper is patience. This is just a little early practice.

well, it happens sometimes. Maybe she was planning to have her eggs laid and hatched by about now, but really it's entirely up to the snakes to make their plans.

I managed to find a reptile store near me in Ontario, is there nothing like that around you?

No, I live in a remote town in BC. In the nearest city 3h away, a corn is 200+ bucks. :/ There is only two corn snakes for sale , one in each pet store, so no options of getting anything but the $200 one or the other one, which was more expensive I think. Sigh.

I know I need to be patient, but I've got everything ready and I've probably missed out on possible other deals for this one. It just bugs me that she specifically said babies in april-may, not june-july :/ I can't get any babies anywhere near me, they're all over a year. LOL silly snakes and their slowness!

Two months isn't so long to wait. You'll have the snake for 15+ years, so you'll have plenty of time together!

The one key attribute of a Corn keeper is patience. This is just a little early practice.

Yeah, but I've already been waiting for pretty much 5 months already so it seems especially hard :p

Just think of it this way: the longer you wait the happier you will be when you finally get one. It will mean more.

Back