• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cage question

Mashedmelissa

I was wondering if it would work to get a large tank, 40 gallons probably, and put some sort of divider in it until my corn snake grows up. I would really prefer not to buy two separate tanks and I can get a 40 gallon for $35 on craigslist. Do you think that would work?

If you give LOTS of hides a 40 would probably be paradise if set up nicely. If you plan not to have a lot of decor or stuff in it for the snake I'd go with a 20 like most recommend. But that is just me.

Of course a 40 for $35 is a STEAL!

That would probably work just fine, so long as the divider is secure and absolutely does not allow for one snake to get to the other side of the tank.

Heat gradient?

Another consideration is how you plan to create a heat gradient. The easier way (I think) to creeate a heat gradient would be to divide the viv into two narrow, long areas and have the heat source (UTH I assume) on one side. If you divide it into two square-ish portions, then you may want to put the heat in the middle and put the divider on top of it splitting the heat source that way you still only need one heat source.

I have read, and it makes sense, that you dont neccessarily NEED a heat gradient, but who wants to be stuck at one temperature without control to change it.

Either way, let us know how it works out and which way you decide to go.

Jimmy

LawDog that is a good idea... i will keep that in mind if I end up getting it

The tank does not come with a lid but I will be purchasing one or making one out of wood and mesh.. no worries it will be very secure.. I'm not letting that little bugger get out! haha

I have a 40 gallon I keep one of my full grown males in. Pending on shape dividing it in the middle should do. Whether you do it long ways or into cubes. That actually would be a great idea.

Back