• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can cages be to big?

Zedo99

Can your cage for your corn snake be to large and affect the health of the cornsnake in anyway?

I would say...it's more like an lack of hides to the size of the cage that could cause added stress to the snake. What size are you talking about?

Im thinking about building my own cage, i have many ideas, i plan to have 2 corns in it, but im really not sure every detail, i plan to include a waterfall into a water dish, i want to make it tall with a spot for them to lay under a heat lamp, with hiding spots in bottom of the cage. any one have more ideas

If the snakes are well fed would there be any reason for canabilism? My girlfriend has 4 corns she feeds them every week, each corn seperate. but she keeps them in same tank. they are mates who have breed 2 times. and then 2 of them are babies from that pair, she sold the other 15 babies or so that survived.

I still wouldn't do it, it doesn't matter if someone else did it. It's for the safety of the snakes not to "save room". Sure people have done it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Only time my corns are in the same cage...is when they are breeding and even after that they get seperated.

It's just not a good idea.

It's not just cannibalism. It's also to prevent unwanted breeding. Females that breed too early (too young) can become egg-bound or encounter other problems, which can easily lead to death. It's also to prevent and reduce stress.
At the end of the day these snakes are still animals. They may seem all hunky-dory one day, but the next they could become aggressive with one another or even kill one another, and it doesn't have to involve eating one another.

Zedo mentioned a waterfall. Do you think that could make the humidity too high. I don't see how the humidity can be too high for a snake that can live in florida wild, but this is something I've heard.

Initially I thought my corn might like a "buddy", but that was before I discovered the wealth of info on this site. I won't be risking a cohab.

I have herd that it can make the humidity high, but i have also herd of people keeping these where the come from ( and they natural humidity being 80%) but if it is too high they will have problems with thier scales.

Im still designing a cage. But im going to build it starting this weekend. When its done im going to run the cage for awhile and keep tabs on the humidity level. If it does become to high im going to look into a small humidifier built into the cage somehow. still working out details. If any one else has any neat ideas feel free to comment. I would like to make a cool cage.

i would not build your own cage. to be fit for a corn snake you will need a very large list of tools and parts. plus it will probably cost $300 to $400 to build you're better off buying a large glass terrarium like a critter cage. Building your own cages is extremely involved. just think it over.

Just a caution about the waterfall there are many places your snake can get inside of the waterfall, it can be prevented but just take care. I agree with the others on cohab bad idea for multiple reasons. Good luck on the building project.

Raiden The Almighty said:
i would not build your own cage. to be fit for a corn snake you will need a very large list of tools and parts. plus it will probably cost $300 to $400 to build you're better off buying a large glass terrarium like a critter cage. Building your own cages is extremely involved. just think it over.
I am not so sure of this, i can build a 4x2x18 cage for under $100 and that would be plenty of room for a corn......

I didnt say build it with a lot of room. If the cages is going to be sturdy well constructed, practical and easy to clean. You would have to use either particle board with a lamenated coating and wood with a varnish that is non toxic to corns and it will have to cure. you also need a strong door with a strong hinge thas is flush with the frame of the cage. It wil also need a lock. the cage will need severel vents if the door does not have screening. Builing a sturdy reliable escape proof cage is not easy unless you have experience in carpentry, and it is exspensive. If you want a safe easy to clean practically escape proof cage buy a glass critter cage. :)

Back