• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can i take the uth off to put on new cage?

Had1nowwant1

I have a 20 gallon long that i am gonna put one of my cornsnakes into and i was wondering if i would be able to take the uth off of the cage he is in now and put it on the new cage.

The manufacuturers say not to do it. I've done it twice, for two that came off easily not forced. If they are stuck on good, you would probably damage it by pulling it off.

I too have peeled one off before. Just go slow and sort of 'baby' it off. If you get to anxious or aggressive you could damage it.

Before you put it on your next tank, it wouldn't be a bad idea to stick it to a piece of picture-frame glass. That way you never have to worry about peeling it in the future, if you want to put it on a different tank again. :)
I've done this with all three of mine and it makes moving things around much easier (not to mention cleaning).

hahaha becky that's exactly what i was going to suggest. that's how i put mine on after i peeled it off the ceramic tile which didn't work for me. it wouldn't stick a second time...

i never thought of the piece glass though... that's a great idea.

I have a some questions about UTH but I have heard so much about it and do not know if it would be good for my little one.
I have a tank which is about 25g and I am heating it for the moment with a light bulb (which is on most of the time as at the moment it is quite cold even though the heating is on in the room) and I am considering changing it for a UTH but do not know:
- Which one (watt) would be the best, 5w?
- Do you put it inside or under the tank?
- If it is under, wouldn't it burn or overheat what the tank is placed on? What I have is wood hence my worry, I do not want to start a house fire... LOL
- would it need to cover the whole of one side of the tank? i.e.: the whole width?

I seem to remember reading something about someone putting it inside and putting extra chipping on it so that the snake can burring itself and not cook itself, was this correct?
Sorry Had1nowwant1, I don't mean to highjack your thread :bowdown:

Thanks a lot for any help :D

1) the UTH should cover 1/2 of the bottom of the tank. i'm not sure on wattage. most UTHs say which size tanks they are made for.

2) ALWAYS put it outside and under the tank. corns like to burrow, no matter how much substrate you put down, the snake will burrow to the bottom of the tank and can burn itself. and speaking of burning, ALWAYS connect the UTH to a rheostat. the rheostat will control the temp of the UTH so it doesnt get too hot.

3) i have my UTH's stuck to a ceramic tile and then the tile is under the tank. so the tile is in contact with the wood veneer of the TV stand that i have my tank on. i can also move the UTH if i need to. there should also be a gap between the UTH and the tank or stand to allow air flow. but most glass tanks have a plastic lip around the outside so that the glass of the tank doesnt sit flat on the stand. mine is like this:
Glass Tank
(Gap)
UTH
Ceramic Tile
Wood stand

4) i've never had a problem with the UTH burning anything. even if you have it stuck to the bottom, there's a gap inbetween the tank bottom and the stand so the UTH wont come in direct contact with your wood stand. but if you're worried, i'd stick the UTH to a tile or a piece of glass and place that under the tank.
i've actually had bulbs do more damage than a UTH. I accidently melted the plastic rim of one of my 10 gal tanks. go me! i forgot about the lamp and had it clamped to the edge of the tank. lamp timer switched the bulb on and VOILA! melted tank lip! and i've had bulbs explode, i've had them blow and burn the inside of my clamp lamps. my roommate accidently left a lamp sitting on my desk and it burned a hole in the wood.

Don't use a uth underneath if its just sitting on wood however! The tanks needs air tto circulate underneath. You can also put a uth on the backside of a tank of a tank.

kimbyra said:
Don't use a uth underneath if its just sitting on wood however! The tanks needs air tto circulate underneath. You can also put a uth on the backside of a tank of a tank.
Really? I didn't think that was possible somehow, then again, I never thought about it.
I think I would rather UTH but will make sure that there is a gap between the tank the UTH.

All of the UTHs I've bought so far have included little rubber feet to put under the tank. This raises the tank off the surface of whatever it is sitting on by 1/4 to 1/2 " allowing air to curculate.

*Not trying to Hijack! This question is on par with the topic*
Stupid question, but why EXACTLY does the air need to circulate under/over the UTH? I am having a problem with mine coming off of the tank (even the duct tape isn't holding it on) and I had considered putting insulating styrafoam under the UTH to keep it up on the tank.

PnyKlr said:
*Not trying to Hijack! This question is on par with the topic*
Stupid question, but why EXACTLY does the air need to circulate under/over the UTH? I am having a problem with mine coming off of the tank (even the duct tape isn't holding it on) and I had considered putting insulating styrafoam under the UTH to keep it up on the tank.

I don't understand the air circulating either. I just raised my tank by making a wood frame around it so that the weight of the tank was not resting on the UTH. You could do the same thing with four tiles in each corner.
If duck tape isn't working maybe it time to replace it. :shrugs:

Good Luck :cheers:

just a guess here, but if there is no air circulating, then the heat is trapped and builds up and maybe it could crack the glass on your tank. if you're using a glass tank.
it's kinda like why you're not supposed to leave an empty coffee pot on. you have to have some liquid in the pot or the pot will crack. because the pot sits directly on the heating element, the heat has no where to go. if you add water to the pot, the heat disperses into the water.
same with the UTH, if you were to stick it directly to the glass and then put the tank flat on the stand, the heat is trapped and will crack the glass. if there is air inbetween the UTH and the tank the heat disperses into the air and the glass wont crack.

According to a manufacturer, its both reasons - trapping the heat causes problems, and the weight can be a problem if the glass isn't lifted up (many aquaiums are). Any way, thats why they include the little rubber feet. A word of caution - those feet come off really easily. I have yet to have a set that stayed put.

Okay, kinda playing devil's advocate here:

In a coffee pot, the heat has nowhere to go but into the glass of the pot. Then it gets so intense that the glass cracks (or does it only crack if cooled too quickly; i.e. cold water getting it wet). In the case of my 55 gallon tank, the glass doesn't sit directly on the stand. In fact, the "decorative" base that is attached to it lifts it about 1/4-1/2" off of the table.

The problem I have run into is the duct tape not holding the UTH to the glass (and I want to avoid permanently sticking it to the tank if possible). I had thought I could use insulating styrafoam to keep the pad against the glass (it would sit between the stand and the tank with no gaps).

If heat distribution is the case, then this wouldn't be a bad idea because the heat is being absorbed through a) the glass, b) the styrafoam, and c) the tank stand if the foram gets warm. I would think that all of this heat distribution would keep anything from getting too hot. If the air is used to cool things off, then wouldn't that be counter-acting the effect of the heatpad itself?

I feel like I'm rambling, and I'm not even sure if this reads in print the way it sounds in my head.

Wouldn't the styrofoam keep heat in - like coffee styrofoam cups and coolers? I have heard people useing a piece of tile or glass. I'm surprised that the duct tape isn't doing the job. :shrugs:

Excessive heat will crack glass. Ask my husband who thought putting a heat-lamp on a glass aquarium hood to try to heat up the water in a new tank faster. Hadn't had the tank 4 hours and he breaks it. Men...

Back in the day when I actually used glass aquariums and UTH's, I just adhered them to a piece of ceramic tile and placed the tile on the table under the tank. I don't like the idea of uber-permanence and especially when peeling off a $20 UTH means more than likely breaking it.

But a friend of mine uses terra cotta "pot feet" to elevate her tanks from the table, and they work better and look better than those cheap, easy-to-detach rubber feet that come with the UTH.

You can buy them at most home improvement stores or online.

I just Googled and found these:

http://www.nothyme.com/potfeet.cfm

Taceas said:
But a friend of mine uses terra cotta "pot feet" to elevate her tanks from the table, and they work better and look better than those cheap, easy-to-detach rubber feet that come with the UTH.

You can buy them at most home improvement stores or online.

I just Googled and found these:

http://www.nothyme.com/potfeet.cfm
Hey, that is a great idea, thanks :)
I didn't know what to do to lift the tank up safely as mine doesn't have the lip on the edge.... sweeeet :D

Back