• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can I Use Logs From Outside?

chuck1289

I'm Old Greggggggg
Hey everyone, I was just wondering can i gather logs from my garden (I live in England). If i can get them from my back garden do i need to boil them or anything like that? Thanks for the help.Bell needs some more climbing things hehe.

Charlie

You need to bake them, but at what temp and how long I have no idea. Also, we have stuff called Repel which is a spray to kill insects that is used from camping gear and also has been used successfully with treating snake mites. It wouldn't hurt if you have something of the sort to spray it after baking, but that might be overkill. You just want to be sure that you aren't leaving any parasites or other creepy crawlies that may be living in the wood alive.

Well I wouldn't spray it and *then* bake it lest it catch fire I would think.
As for the baking I think it's like 20 minutes at 300* but I could be wrong so don't go burning your house down yet untill we get more confirmation.

I've always baked for 30minutes at 250c (Highest setting on my oven)

Wrap the log in tinfoil fully prior to baking and check on it regularly for scorch marks etc.

Baking wood in the house does present a fire risk..Never bake rocks or stones as these can explode...
If you can get a 45 gallon drum. Put a grid in it about a foot from the bottom.( this is to stop the logs touching the bottom of the drum) put water in that is at the level of the grid. Light a fire under the drum (hot enough to boil the water) Put your logs in and replace the lid of the drum..(do not fasten the lid down just rest it on the top or else the pressure build up will explode the drum)
There you have a steamer... keep an eye on the water level top it up if it looks like it is going to boil dry too quick.. You need to steam for a couple of hours
When it is boiled dry leave the logs in there (the fire can be smaller now) the arid air will help to dry out the logs a bit...
But to be honest why not get some silk or plastic plants for the viv, they're much easier to clean..LOL
MIKE

I don't know snakewispera, have you ever tried to boil water on a fire. It takes a pretty good fire and a lot of time just to make coffee. I'm sure your idea would work, I'm just not sure it is going to be very practical.

Wood and paper don't burn until you reach around 400*. I think I would bake them in the oven around 200-250 for 1/2 hour. That would surely kill anything living inside of them. Of course, you want to watch them and have the fire department standing by, maybe a couple of buckets of water.

I don't know snakewispera, have you ever tried to boil water on a fire. It takes a pretty good fire and a lot of time just to make coffee. I'm sure your idea would work, I'm just not sure it is going to be very practical.

Wood and paper don't burn until you reach around 400*. I think I would bake them in the oven around 200-250 for 1/2 hour. That would surely kill anything living inside of them. Of course, you want to watch them and have the fire department standing by, maybe a couple of buckets of water.

I know what you mean...LOL It has to be a good log fire..
Besides our ovens are only small..You wouldn't get logs in much over 18" long.
With my method you can get much bigger pieces in, and after steaming wood is pliable so you can bend it to the shape you want and it stays there when it cools. You can make very interesting shapes with it...
But I do agree it is a real hassle.
But my method kills everything right through to the centre. Baking for *short* periods can allow things that burrow to the middle to survive.
MIKE

I'm boiling the logs right now , they seem to be doing good and i'm sure if there was anything on that log it is dead lol.Plus living in england it is petty cold at the moment and i don't think there is much chance of anything being bad on the log but still i have boiled it good and it looks great and ready to go!

I'm boiling the logs right now , they seem to be doing good and i'm sure if there was anything on that log it is dead lol.Plus living in england it is petty cold at the moment and i don't think there is much chance of anything being bad on the log but still i have boiled it good and it looks great and ready to go!
What are you boiling the logs in?
How big are the logs?
MIKE

I'm boiling the logs in water and they are pretty small (I have a baby snake) i've put them in there now and she loves them hehe thanks for all the ideas.

Charlie

Water..Thats a good idea..LOL
I was wondering what receptacle, not substance.
If she's so small why not use cardboard tubes and be sure of the sterility of them. After all you have now introduced anything that can grow to the perfect environment.
MIKE

Back