• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

can pinkies rot?

Leocadia

I have a pinky mouse that's been in my freezer for a couple of weeks (I buy 2-3 at a time) and it's turned black around it's stomach. My mom thought it looked rotten, but I wasn't sure if they could rot. Any help?
-Skye

As far as I know, they don't rot while in the freezer. Most of my f/ts are dark around the abdominal area. :shrugs: They do however rot very quickly once thawed.

Depending on what the pinkies are being stored in and for how long, they can get freezer burn which will cause discoloration and ice to build up on them. I am unclear if this is detrimental to the nutritional value of freezer burned mice or not. I'm sure you might get mixed replies about this.

I have been told that a black or dark purple area in the gut is indicative of early signs of rot. However, having dissected the stomach area of a pinkie that was dark purple, what I found was the internal organs (dark in color) of the pinkie rather than rotten tissue. Was it the early signs of tissue rot or was it the organs showing through the translucent skin of the pinkie?

With that said, I am not a pathologist...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :crazy02:

Regards,
Steve

ssmith_1187 said:
I have been told that a black or dark purple area in the gut is indicative of early signs of rot. However, having dissected the stomach area of a pinkie that was dark purple, what I found was the internal organs (dark in color) of the pinkie rather than rotten tissue. Was it the early signs of tissue rot or was it the organs showing through the translucent skin of the pinkie?

With that said, I am not a pathologist...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :crazy02:

Regards,
Steve

That is really great. That is the perfect quote for WIR.

:crazy02:

Everything rots. Temperature determines at what speed. Feezing it will slow down bacteria A LOT but yes it can rot. However a few weeks in a freezer shouldn't rot much at all.

I should add...if a supplier doesn't package their frozen mice in vacuum sealed freezer bags, I will seal them myself with my Food Saver.

Granted, I do not know how long they have been dead prior to me putting them into a vacuum sealed bag, but "meat" will stay fresh for 2 years in them.

Regards,
Steve

That is discoloration, not rot. (-: I remember someone mentioning a similar discoloration in the gut area of corn snakes when they die of natural causes, but I can't recall what color that was. Considering the discoloration doesn't take long to happen, and I have kept mice for months at a time in just a ziplock in the freezer and the darkness never spreads and the snakes never refuse or regurg.... you're fine. (-: Good to check, but not worries.

since we're talking about color as well... is a green spot (that looks internal) normal on baby corns? It freaked me out... I thought I was killing him with the pinkie I asked about being rotten in the first place.

Back