• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

can someone take a look at my viv

Renosgirl

ok so a little back story.....I am moving in about 82 days (excited can't you tell :D )so everything is not set up but if someone can just give me any advice if I am missing something or anything.

ok here is my tank, its a zilla critter cage 40g.
002.jpg

001.jpg

and here is some hides I have
0012.jpg

some decor I have as well as the lock,and thermometer (with probe)
002-2.jpg

and lastly some of the decor I have, rocks, moist hide, another water dish, etc.
001-3.jpg

Is the viv a 40 breeder? Are you getting an adult?

I don't see a UTH or a thermostat. Less importantly, vines.

I don't know what you mean when you say breeder...

and yes the plan is to get an adult....and if for some reason that doesn't work out I will get a smaller tank and hides.

a UTH and thermostat are just not pictured but I do have them.

I was thinking about some vines....but waiting until I find something I like or the ones I like go on sale :D (they are REALLY expensive like 30 for 2 feet)

"Breeder" is just what they call the long not tall 40 gallon tank.

Can you look in a craft store for fake flowers/vines? You might want to get a big ceramic dog bowl, big enough for an adult to get into. They like to do that.

Some people use the 40g tanks as a breeding tank! It is larger and can accommadate two adult snakes! Most adult corns usually only need a 20g! But I think the 40g will be fine!

then yes I guess its a breeder tank. I though that its better to get a wider tank then taller.

A craft store is a good idea, but the only think I am worried about is the unkown chemicals that they stray on them

I had the same worry about chemicals on the silk plants too, Renosgirl. I rinsed mine pretty thoroughly and dried them, then let them stand for a week or so (time to let things disperse or become inert?). I guess we can never be 100% sure, but I'm pretty confident they are fine. I suppose we technically have the same worry for things bought at pet stores, even if they are packaged and sealed.

My main worry is the strength of the vines and the suction cups used to hold them up, for being climbed on. :p My little 12g Sherlock will probably be alright on them for now, but I'm looking for a proper climbing branch for him as well, though I'm concerned he'll find some obscure weak point in the top of the vivarium to escape through. I like the branch in your picture; was it from a pet store?

O! Question: if you are using a thermostat (probably a good idea) with a wired probe, how are you passing the wire through to the inside of the viv? I have the same brand/configuration of vivarium, and I ended up poking a hole in the screen (since I don't have the tools for drilling the glass) but I'm not completely satisfied with it. It's a weak point for the escape artist and snags when I open/close the lid (since it slides). Not to mention it doesn't look great (globbed hot glue to close the hole). But it works. But if you find a better solution, please do share :) . It might be worth me replacing my screen lid at some point.

thats a good idea about the plants and vines.

And yes I got that branch at a petstore, it's called PetsMart, they have stores in the states so I am sure you can find one :)

On the top of the Viv there is a very small opening just big enough for a wire and that is what I use. I am surprised that your doesn't have one...

and as per putting holes into the screen, am I getting it right you put glue on the hole with the wire in it to stop your snake from coming through? If so I think that should work just fine IMO.

Yep yep. I have the 20g version, so maybe there is a slight difference with the hole size. O and there are tiny gaps at the back but the wire didn't fit through without pinching too much. So I poked a hole in the screen big enough to pass the probe through and filled it in with hot glue so there's actually nothing for the snake to fit through, but it does weaken the screen overall. Don't tell him, but if he tried pulling the thermostat cord really hard, he could probably tear it down...someday. Not with his current 12 grams of cuteness though. Bet he already knows and is just biding his time :p .

oh well I am sure if you don't bring a lot of attention to it then I am sure he will not pay any attention to it

I don't know what you mean when you say breeder...

and yes the plan is to get an adult....and if for some reason that doesn't work out I will get a smaller tank and hides.

a UTH and thermostat are just not pictured but I do have them.

I was thinking about some vines....but waiting until I find something I like or the ones I like go on sale :D (they are REALLY expensive like 30 for 2 feet)
you can go on northampton reptile centres website if you live in the uk and vines and branches are quite cheap and by breeder we mean is it 18" deep as a normal "non breeder" tank is only 15". it just allows for easier turning i suppose hope this helped

There should be two little v-shaped notches you can punch out on the back of the tank frame (near where the 'latches' are) intended for running wires through.

I use a breeder 40 as well for an adult. The same one i think. It's definitely not needed as he spends most of his time in one corner, but it's a nice looking cage and i think he likes to be able to move around at night. Somehow i think it helps in them not trying to get out all the time too, but i could be wrong.

O! Question: if you are using a thermostat (probably a good idea) with a wired probe, how are you passing the wire through to the inside of the viv? I have the same brand/configuration of vivarium, and I ended up poking a hole in the screen (since I don't have the tools for drilling the glass) but I'm not completely satisfied with it. It's a weak point for the escape artist and snags when I open/close the lid (since it slides). Not to mention it doesn't look great (globbed hot glue to close the hole). But it works. But if you find a better solution, please do share :) . It might be worth me replacing my screen lid at some point.

I had a fat cat push in one of the (unoccupied) snake tank's screens. The lid comes apart and we bought some heavy vinyl netting to rescreen. Everything fit back together and there hasn't been any problem with the screen sagging.

Back