• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can the viv be too big?

maverick_8teen

Hey! Reaserching corn snakes. I started out with an open mind and it seems that corn snakes are a great starting snake from what i read so far. Im getting alot of information off this forum which appears to be more informative than the other 2 i looked at.

Anyway, i have read that a 20 gal tank seems to be a good size for an adult but could i go bigger. I have a 35gal that i would like to use but im afraid that it might be too big for it. Any reason as to why it might be? To add to it, my sis recently got a turtle and was told that if you put it in a tank too big at a young age it would get lost. would a snake do the same if i were to stick a baby in a 35 gal? And if i did stick it in a 35 gal to start and it did ok, would it do ok as it grew older or might it get stressed as its living environment didn't increase in size as the snake did? I do have a 10, 20, and 35 gal tanks so its not that i don't have options.

The 35 would be ok as long as you provide a bunch of hides.Personally, I'd start with the 10 gallon for a year and then go to the 35. But my reasoning is that it's alot easier to track for poops and regurges and it's easier to clean.

Yea, I would start with either the 10 or 20 gallon for a year or so, then move him up. Just make sure you have a big water dish in there.

My question is: If a baby turtle will get 'lost' in a big fishtank, how on earth do they survive in the wild?

dwyn127 said:
The 35 would be ok as long as you provide a bunch of hides.Personally, I'd start with the 10 gallon for a year and then go to the 35. But my reasoning is that it's alot easier to track for poops and regurges and it's easier to clean.
What ^^ he said.

If you already own both the 10 and the 35, I would start off in the ten, as it really makes it easier for your snake to "settle in", and for you to keep a close eye on it's behavior and track the important information i.e. defecation and regurgitation. Starting a hatchling off in a 35 *probably* won't create problems, but it would be easier on both of you if you started in the 10, and then moved up as the snake grew.

I started my corn in a 10, and then waited until she grew about 4" and settled in(about a month), than moved her up to a 20High(which is about 6" shorter than a 20Long). In about 6-8 months or so, I will be moving her into a larger tank that will give her plenty of room to "wander", as well as more overhead space for climbing. I'm doing the same with my '06 MBK, though she won't have the luxury of a 20high in the interim. She will go straight from the 10 to the large in 8 months.

Of course, the only reason I am able to do this is because I already owned the smaller tanks(2 tens and a 20high), and I can wait another 6-8 months to purchase the more permanent enclosures.

I dont think they were literal when they said "lost". When you stick a fairly small animal in a large space, if they dont have the needed hides, they can start to feel scared, and un-safe in their homes. If you put a small hatchling in a large tank, the amount of room with cause stress on the poor thing, which would be described as being "lost".

Basically, like everyone said, use the 10 gallon first. It'll create less stress, Make sure you have a hide small enough that the hatchling can fit their whole body in it, and is able to touch the sides of the hide with it's body, for it to feel safe.

A 35-gallon would be fine, so long as the snake has access to hiding spots, as with any size enclosure. I keep my corn in a 40-gallon breeder and he's doing great.

I don't neccessarily agree that a baby must be kept in a 10-gallon. When I first got my corn he went straight in to the home he's in now, with lots of hides, and I've never had any problems with him. This is just my personal opinion, of course. If you wish to start with a smaller cage, do. I'm just saying that you don't have to.

I've kept Tiaga in a 55 gal. tank since we got her 3 yrs ago. She was a sub adult at that time and has had no problems at all. For the longest time I had only one hide on the warm side, and just recently added another to the cool side.

Now our baby we keep in a 10 gal. tank and that appears will be large enough for atleast a year. So, Depending on how big your snake is, I'd start small and work your way up in size.(that way you will always have an extra tank to add a new baby in the future!!!. hehehhe)

well i currently rent so until my lease is up (in 2 months) im not allowed to have anything that can "escape" so itl'll be about that long before i get one so i might not be able to tell you how it goes...sorry. if i remember and this thread is still going i sure will let you know but not likley that ill remember.

Back