• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can you please give me advice on the following terrariums?

JjSnake

Thanks for reading this.

I'm a newbie, and I'm reading a book about corn snakes to learn more about them.

Do you think the following terrarium would be decent for a young corn snake? (I think it'd be 3-6 months old):
http://www.amazon.com/Terra-PT2607-Rainforest-Habitat-Medium/dp/B001B5AU4Y
That's called the Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit Small, and the dimensions are 12" x 12" x 18" high

I was wondering if the extra height was needed. If the extra height (18") isn't necessary for a young corn snake, then would I be okay with just this 12" x 12" x 12" terrarium?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KV5S0EW6SS6TXANZ4JX
That one is called the Exo Terra AllGlass Terrarium, Mini

Or maybe are both of them bad for a baby corn? Do you have any better suggestions?

I like the Rainforest kit because it seems to have lots of the necessary stuff included, so that way I wouldn't have to buy each item individually. Also it seems like a good deal. But since I'm a newbie, I have no idea if this is the wrong way to go.

Thanks! :)
JJ

My thoughts are that the floor area is more important for a Corn than the height. They can and do climb, but spend most of their time at ground level.

Also, those particular tanks are pretty notorious for not being escape-proof for hatchlings. Squeezing between the sliding glass doors (as unlikely as it sounds), I seem to remember, is a favourite trick.

So for babes, I'd go for something more secure. For older ones, I'd go for something with less height and more floor area.

Last edited:
Those are pretty expensive right? Petco normally has 10gallon glass tanks for about $10-14 depending on where you live and a screen lid and locks should be about $20 all up, and 20 gallons for about 30? I think. Not as nice looking but cheaper! A whole lot cheaper don't blow all you're money on those!

I like to keep anything under 2 in plastic tubs. I love the sterlites with locking lids. You can always buy a nice display cage when it gets older, as either of those two cages will not last you very long.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, everyone! :) I appreciate it.

I ended up just getting that 12x12x12 glass one from Amazon for $47 with free shipping. The snake I'm getting is a hatchling, and the only thing I'm worried about is if it might be able to sneak through the door openings like bitsy had suggested. I guess I'll inspect the cage when it arrives, and if there are openings then I guess I can try to cover them up with tape or something.

I like the container that mini4x had suggested, and I'm glad to have learned about it for the future. But since this is my first time with a snake, I wanted to make sure it was easily visible. And since it's just a hatchling, hopefully my glass terrarium will be able to last a year or two before I have to get a bigger size.

Thanks again! Wish me luck, as the snake might be arriving this Wednesday. :)

I guess I'll inspect the cage when it arrives, and if there are openings then I guess I can try to cover them up with tape or something.

Using tape to cover a hole probably isn't a good idea unless you are going to tape something else over the hole so the snake can't come into contact with the tape. Snakes can get stuck to the tape and hurt themselves trying to get free, if they even can get free...

Hope your new tank arrives safely!

Khena - thanks a lot for the advice!

It looks like both the tank and the snake are arriving on Thursday. I guess I'll just see if the snake would be able to fit through the "cracks" of the doors of the tank. If it looks suspicious, then I'll probably just house the snake in a tupperware until it grows big enough for the glass tank.

I guess I'll just see if the snake would be able to fit through the "cracks" of the doors of the tank
I'm afraid it will always look like "there's no way they could possibly fit through *that*!" The only way you'll know whether it's escape-proof or not, will be by checking whether your babe is still there each morning.

All I can say (again), is that those terrariums have a rep for not being hatchling-proof.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, Bitsy! :)

The tank arrived yesterday, and I was able to inspect it closely. I'll quote you on this one: "There's no way they could possibly fit through *that*!" :) lol. Literally, it looks like there is only a sliver the diameter of a hair in-between the doors.

I guess we'll see. I'll be sure to post here if the snake ends up escaping! :) There was a slight delay in the snake shipping due to bad weather, so it looks like it might be here tomorrow instead of today.

With a thermostat the heat pad will not get hot enough to harm or melt plastic.

Tons of keepers keep their snakes in snake racks which are made up of plastic bins and heat tape or flexwatt.

You can use a rheostat too. It's like a dinner switch and is usually cheaper. I used to use the zoomed brand. But even turned all the way down I couldn't get the heat mat below 100°F. So I prefer thermostats. You plug the mat into the stat.

Even on glass you will have to use a thermostat, rheostat, or dimmer switch to control the temperature of the heat mat. They will get well over 200°F if not regulated.

I use a hydtofarm thermostat and it cost me $29.95.

I love the Exo-terra habitats. The low/wides are really nice. Where you have to be careful is the openings for thermometer leads. I know this as we just found a hatchling that escaped two days ago (counting our blessings). While feeding the foundling I put the lead back in, closed the slide, and dropped hot glue on it so it can't be opened. Just be careful as they are escape artists, especially hatchlings.

Back