• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Candy Cane questions

BadAssHerps

Ok I am going to make a nubie out of myself but I am waiting on my morph guide to arrive in the mail. Anyway, I was wondering what the genetic make up of a candy cane is and what's the differnce between a orange candy cane and a creamsicle?
-Thanks

I am by no means an expert but I'll give it a shot..

Candy Canes are like reverse okeetees, sunglows, and flourescent oranges. They are all amelanisytic corns that have been selectively bred to "look" a certain way.

Creme's are guttata X emoryi crosses (usually amel crosses)

i think u got it pretty good ^^^

a candy cane is just when amel are slectivly breed for one that have low amount of yellow and after many genartation i belivevgf they drop the yellow all together., many people tho are not veery big fans of the coloration

Jesus christ! Think you post enough man!? LOL

As long as a person has something relevant to say...who cares how many times they post ?

This site has been around for several years...if a person is a regular contributor, their post count will go up. The site didn't just come into existence since you joined it Badass.

Gronk said:
As long as a person has something relevant to say...who cares how many times they post ?

This site has been around for several years...if a person is a regular contributor, their post count will go up. The site didn't just come into existence since you joined it Badass.

Oh what do you know, you hardly have any posts at all. :nyah:

So whats the odds of getting Candy Canes if you breed a red candy cane and a partial orange candy cane (who came from full candy cane parents). I plan to try it in the spring, would love to get candy canes but I dont know never done it before, Anyhow I know Ill get amels atleast.

Bug22baby said:
So whats the odds of getting Candy Canes if you breed a red candy cane and a partial orange candy cane (who came from full candy cane parents). I plan to try it in the spring, would love to get candy canes but I dont know never done it before, Anyhow I know Ill get amels atleast.
Just because you breed 2 candy canes, doesn't mean you'll get ALL candy canes. Since it is a selectively bred trait, you may or may not get candy canes. Most likely, you will get some candy canes and some "regular" amels. Stinks, huh?

As for breeding a red candy cane to an orange candy cane, you most likely will get various colored amels...from red to orange.

EDIT:
I wonder what is gonna be said about my number of posts.

Last edited:
Ya I assume I wont get all Candy Canes or none at all. But Im gonna give it a try see what happens, if not candy canes I would love to get some reverse okeetes, but once again Ill see what happens next spring. I just would love any babies, I just love them!!! (even baby normals, there all so great!)

Hey Eli,

Good to see you over on this forum and great to meet you at Daytona.

You'll find this is a hopping forum, THE spot on the net for corns. :D

As for the question:

I was wondering what the genetic make up of a candy cane is and what's the differnce between a orange candy cane and a creamsicle?

The candy cane, as others have said, is an amelanistic (albino) corn snake that has been selectively bred to have a white or near white background. Orange candys will have bright orange saddles and a white background. Creamsicles are actually a corn/emory hybrid (or intergrade depending on your point of view) that is amelanistic as well. They tend to have bright orange saddles with a yellow-orange background, especially the 50-50 crosses. The more corn you get in the mix, the more like a typical amel they become. They more emory you get in the mix, the more yellow toned they become. Most people tend to label any amelanistic corn snake with any amount of emory blood as creamsicle to denote the hybrid/intergrade status.

Other corn/emory names:

Rootbeer - the normal variety of a corn/emory
Cinnamon - the hypo version

I'm not aware of others labeled yet, but I'm sure people will fill it in if I've missed some.

So, easy answer, orange candys are selectively bred amel corns with orange saddles and white backgrounds. Creamsicles are amel corn/emory crosses that may resemble orange candy canes as hatchlings, but most become a yellow-ed out version of a normal amel as adults. If you do a search for creamsicles, you'll find tons of pictures here.

thanks

Hurley,
Thank you, I really appriciate the help. I can't wait to get the female I bought fattened up and ready to breed again. I'm at work right now so I have to keep this short but well talk soon.
-Eli

Back