• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can't find my snake

muffinman206

I can't find my corn snake. I've sifted through all the reptibark in the cage and checked all the hide boxes and such. The cage has been shut and it was shut when I couldn't find him. There are no cracks or anything. What could have happened to it? Thanks

There are obviously two possiblities: 1) he's in your viv; 2) he's not. I would try getting a big bowl and taking handfulls of bedding out until you find him. If the lid really has been closed the whole time, your sure to find him when there's nothing left. I'm pretty new to this, so someone else may have a better idea, but that seems like it oughtta work. If it turns out he's not in there, you've got a whole other problem and you may want to serach the forum for advice about finding lost snakes. Good luck.

Do you have a paper towel or newspaper lining the cage? If so I'd check under that. Sometimes my snakes like to hide not only buried under their substrate but also under the paper towels I have placed under the substrate.

Don't have paper towels one the bottom. I think I might know where he is. I put a climbing tree in the cage the other day and I just noticed it has a hole the size of a quarter near the bottom. I'm guessing he crawled in. I am almost certain he got stuck in there. I'm thinking about swaing through VERY carefully if he doesn't come out soon. Oh man I hope he's okay.

I'm also thinking of filling the hole with water and pouring it out to see if he might come out with it. Any other suggestions?

If he's truly stuck, I would be weary of adding water to the hole for fear he might drown. I don't know exactly how he may be stuck though, so you'd have to use your best judgement.

muffinman206 said:
I'm also thinking of filling the hole with water and pouring it out to see if he might come out with it. Any other suggestions?
I would advise against the water thing. He could drown. And I do not believe he would be stuck in there, but he just prolly doesnt want to come out yet. I would give it a couple more days and leave the stick in the viv and see if he comes out on his own. Dont rush to any conclusions. be careful with the sawing idea. You dont want to be cutting and have your snake dart out in fear. You can figure out what might happen.:eek1: In the meantime set up some bottle traps or flour or masking tape just in case he's not in the stick.

I ended up sawing the bottom off. He was stuck up there GOOD. There was no way he was coming out. Thanks for the suggestions though.

You are very lucky to have done that and NOT saw thru the snake. If it got in there on it's own it probably could have got OUT on it's own. As far as it being stuck it was more than likely scared stiff. I would have waited to see if it came out before I would have taken a chance like that. Glad you were able to find it
"ALIVE", & :grabbit:

muffinman206 said:
I ended up sawing the bottom off. He was stuck up there GOOD. There was no way he was coming out. Thanks for the suggestions though.
So were you able to just coax him out after that? Or did he come out once the bottom was off? JUst in the future I would be more cautious. He prolly would have come out if you had left him alone for a day or two. He was just scared. Glad it worked out.

The snake if fine. I realize now that it wasn't the best idea to cut it out. He was up there for about a week through 2 weeks, which I forgot to mention. Next time I'll be more patient and not risk the snakes help. Thanks

he probably couldn;t get out on his own if he;s been in there for 2 weeks, or maybe he just likes it there and keeps returning. glad he;s safe though

neotekz said:
he probably couldn;t get out on his own if he;s been in there for 2 weeks, or maybe he just likes it there and keeps returning. glad he;s safe though

I agree - our corn is sometimes not seen for days but I know he's been out and about at night though. They like to hide these little fellows so he might have snuck out when you've not been around and then hidden again.

Back