• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cape Gopher does anyone keep them or have anything to say?

Mr.Pohada

I found a nice Cape Gopher snake in Winnipeg and thought they are a nice looking snake.I watched a few videos and they seem very aggressive as babes however I have read that they calm down with time any input into size colour behavior would be appreciated..

Well I personally like Cape Gophers, and my experiance with snakes is, the more you hold them the more tame they are, the less you hold them the more they are agressive. and they size is anywhere from 36-66 inchs.
If i am wrong please correct me

Hope that helps, Lee Petruga

Bah, Gophers, Pines and Bulls are all the same in personality.. It depends if they like you. lol
I have about 12 of those critters here and each one has a different personality.
5 bulls,
1 pine
6 gophers (various localities)
As for size, I say it should reach anywhere between 5.5 - 6.5 feet on average. I have a large female bull snake here that is over 6 foot.

Now the colors on the Capes tend to be a nice reddish color but you should see yellows, oranges and tans in that snake as well. They are very pretty but depending on the parents their color can vary.

I definitely recommend Pits. Mine is a Cape X Sonoran. He likes me, but can be a real handful if anyone else is around, if he is hungry, or if he is in a just pain bad mood. Sizes are mentioned above, and their colors can be googled to see their deep changing tones. Please let us know if you end up getting one, they are great.

Will do the one I was looking at was a more traditional Cape with red orange and yellow nice snake but I am an Albino kind of guy so I will hold off but keeep my eyes open thanks for the replies much appreciated I like the bulk and lengh that Bull's Pines and Gophers can have..

on a side note it is tough where I live the Snake's are few and far between with limited breeders it is hard to be picky..

Here is a white sided Albino bull snake I picked up this year.
bb2.jpg

Will do the one I was looking at was a more traditional Cape with red orange and yellow nice snake but I am an Albino kind of guy so I will hold off but keeep my eyes open thanks for the replies much appreciated I like the bulk and lengh that Bull's Pines and Gophers can have..

Yeah, I really enjoy them and to be honest, what I like about them is that they get as big as Medium size boas and not the girth.

ooooo awwwww pretty Albino Bull very nice i so love Albino snakes Boas Python's Amel corns all very nice..not a fan of white outs or Blizzards though they need to have some pattern or markings love the opal corns..

I believe this was the snake we saw several of at MARS this year. We were entranced but they were out of our price range. When we looked them up, care did not seem too bad. It's a possibility for the future. If you found one for a good price and have the space and time, I say go for it!

If you want a boa in a colubrids body, get a gopher. They are chunky, powerful and generally very placid if you work with them enough as babies. I had an albino sonoran gopher called Giraffe. He was a psycho for a wee while, then he mellowed right out.

Giraffe6.jpg

giraffe4britt2.jpg

giraffies5.jpg

Pits are just fantastic snakes. My favorite ever pit was Monty the rescue bull. He was over 6ft of sheer muscle. Yet he was as gentle as they come...

bull5-1.jpg

bull6.jpg

As morphs go, That is top of the line, its an applegate. They do command a high price.

DYK I got Giraffe for free? He was due to be frozen with the rest of his brothers and sisters because the breeder apaprently would rather do that than sell them for a lower price. DYK Giraffe eventually found a good home, but I wish I had just kept him for myself.

Back