• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Carol -- Miami hatchling ??s

SnakeNutt

This question is primarily for Carol, but anyone with a lot of experience with Miami-phase hatchlings, please feel free to chime in. This year I bred a nice Miami-phase female (silver background, red saddles, thick black borders) to a Miami-phase male het hypo (thinner borders, with more of a tannish background). Some of the hatchlings look almost anery -- silver background with very dark saddles (with just a tiny hint of red) -- while others look more like normals (still pale backgrounds, but with red/brown saddles). Carol, I think I remember you mentioning in a post some time back that the best Miami hatchlings (the ones that mature with the reddest, not orangish, saddles) are the ones that have really dark saddles at birth. Is that correct?

In my experience, it is the "not so flashy" hatchling's that turn out to be the best adults. The darker the saddles the better. My best Miamis are the ones that look like Anerys when they hatch out. Sure, they have clutch mates that have screaming red saddles as soon as they hatch but think ahead to what will happen once the animals fade. The super dark ones "fade" to a really great red, while the super red ones fade to a bright orange at best, sometimes a dull orange. I wish I had some hatching/adult comparison pics for you, but I just lost a bunch of files recently. The same goes for the Hypo Miamis/Crimsons, those hatchlings that knock you off your feet when emerge from the egg often become very dull as they reach adulthood. It takes awhile to get good at picking which ones will stay nice. I still don't have it down completely. ;-)
Was that the really thick bordered female you got from me awhile back? I really miss her! I'd love to see pics of some of the "anery" like ones.

carol said:
Was that the really thick bordered female you got from me awhile back? I really miss her! I'd love to see pics of some of the "anery" like ones.

Hi, Carol. Thanks for responding.

Yep, the female you sold to me is the mother of my new Miami-phase hatchlings. I'll post a shot of the male below. I wish I'd had a thick-bordered male, but alas, this one was the only one I had at the time. About a month ago, though, I bought a yearling that is really nice -- I'm looking forward to pairing the female with him.

Some of the hatchlings have already gone dull, in preparation of their post-hatching shed, but as soon as they all shed, I'll post some shots of them. Several of them have saddles so dark that I can't tell a difference in color between the middle of the saddle and the edge (i.e., I can't see a border).

Attachments

• SnakeNuttsDaytonaZ.jpg
    SnakeNuttsDaytonaZ.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 52
Back