• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Central Texas Residents / Northern Gulf Coast..

hoho19

I'd like to hear from those people that live in lower central Texas and the gulf coast about their snake cages in the winter. I live in San Antonio and we don't usually run the heater in the winter. It gets down to the mid 50's in our house at night (great for snuggling with the wife!) and can get into the 70's during the daytime. We just throw an extra blanket or 2 on the bed and we are comfortable. Now that I have a snake I'd like some input on how you guys "winter" them.

If push comes to shove we can definitely heat our house..but...

I've been thinking of several solutions including making a good size hide box over my uth and making sure that the air in the hide is comfortable but that would leave the rest of the tank in the cold so to speak.

Any input would be great!

Heat pad, and if you need to, a red heat lamp above to warm the air a little more. Usually if the heat pad is on, they do just fine. Be aware that the heat lamp will dry the air and you might have to provide a little more humidity for them at shed time.

Usually the heat pad keeps the temps high enough. If it is really cool, I'll turn on a red lamp--not a heat lamp, but a regular red light bulb--just to give the UTH a boost.

I also live in San Antonio. Ok, I really live in New Braunfels. The advice from the ladies above will do just fine. I have my snakes in a rack with heat. Also, I leave the computer on in that room on cold nights to keep it warmer.

Back