• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ceramic heat bulbs - are they okay?

jovamabob

The heatmat in my 2 year old corn snakes viv has developed cold patches and i've been wondering about switching to heating his basking spot with a cermaic bulb instead. My house gets very cold at night so he'd need the heat on at night and since i dont like the red bulbs, i'd prefer a ceramic which i can thermostat control. I'm trying not to brumnate him this year to let him get his weight back up and i heard this would help too. He already has lighting in the form of an under cabinet tube light. He's about to move into a 3ft vivarium that will be 15" deep and 16" high so i can fix it inside the viv on the roof.

Im worried about him coiling round it and burning himself though. I already have a bulb guard i don't use, but when i had that over my beardies ceramic bulb it got quite warm too. Does anyone else use these and are they okay? Are they sensible enough to avoid it?

Thanks! :)

You can't have it IN the viv!! Can't you just replace the UTH? The CHE has to heat the air- with a UTH he can burrow down to the perfect temp.

Back