• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Charcoal Stripes-do they exist?

northwestcorns

Just wondering. I haven't seen any. I just got a charcoal from Mr. Soderburg. I'd love to have a charcoal stripe. What would it take to breed one?

I was trying this year... The odds gods struck me down, and dened me my just right.. *LOL*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Well I'm not sure if there is some sort of reason why you can't have a Charcoal Stripe, with proper breeding of course and a bit of luck. :D

This is the part of the post that I begin to explain all the fun square stuff!!

First to begin a few assumptions must be made in order for me to show the magic!
1. That you are trying to get just a Charcoal Stripe, (chchss) meaning no other traits being involved.
2. That your Charcoal Corn is most likely male, and is of wild pattern. (chch++)

Alright lets get started! :D

So now that we have identified that we are going for a Charcoal Stripe (chchss) and that your Corn is Charcoal (chch++) and male, logically all that we need to do in order to achieve a Charcoal Stripe (chchss) all we need is two generations of breeding and a female Striped Corn. Any kind will do as long as your ok with getting maybe some extra traits in some of your hatchlings, if not a Wild Striped (++ss) would be ideal.

This would be your first breeding with the above details.

chch++ * ++ss

Resulting in a Heterozygous Charcoal Stripe; (ch+s+) note this Corn will most likely look like a Wild type Corn.

Then upon receiving your clutch with a 100% Heterozygous Charcoal Stripe (ch+s+) rate, breeding any male and female from this clutch will result in this square; and ultimately leading finally to a Charcoal Stripe (chchss) after 2 breedings. :D

ch+s+ * ch+s+
+s_ |ch+ss_|ch+s+_ |++ss__|++s+__|
++_ |ch+s+_|ch+++_|++s+_ |++++__|

This should be the answer to your "former" Charcoal Stripe (chchss) "problem". :D At least according to the genetics!!

You don't really need to explain these things to me, but its a nice thing for others who are trying to figure out genetics.. I am well aware of how simple recessive works.. I was playing the long shot with other genetics involved.. Murphy decided this was the clutch he was not going to be generous on, whilist at least one clutch I more than pounded the pants off the odds and got a lot more of a morph than I should have..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Oh, I'm sorry TandJ if I made it seem as though I was trying to explain things to you and belittle you :(, I understand your seniority and experience; also I do understand the very probable chances of not receiving a Charcoal Stripe through other methods.

I was merely attempting to clarify on how to breed a Charcoal Stripe through using a Charcoal Corn, as questioned by the thread starter. :)

Just wondering. I haven't seen any. I just got a charcoal from Mr. Soderburg. I'd love to have a charcoal stripe. What would it take to breed one?
Yes, they exist. I believe KJUN and Jeff Mohr both have one or three apiece.

and I believe Brent, Drizzt80 has one, but I'm not sure about that.
Unfortunately I have yet to beat the odds on hatching out a Charcoal Stripe. The time spent so far will just make the first one that much more enjoyable!

D80

I have always wondered why some morphs are rare when they are just double homozygous animals. Is there something else at work ? A genetic weakness that kicks in when the two alleles are combined ?

Why are Charcoal stripes unusual ? I would think they would be popping up all over from crosses that were intended to rpoduce other things year ago, like an amel stripe X charcoal cross that may have been used to produce Blizzards years ago.

I have really always wondered why blood lavs are still kind of high priced and rare. By now, lots of guys should be producing them, it's not that complicated. But they don't show up much on the lassifieds, and the price reflects a morph that is a bit scarce.

I have 2.2 double het blood lavs, and have produced only two plasmas in two years of breeding them. Of about 50 or 60 babies, the 1 in 16 odds are not that far out of whack, but both of my babies thrived for awhile, then died, for no reason that I could discern. Then I see few for sale, few adult pics shown off ( I think they are worth looking at !) and I wonder ...

Now that I have rambled, I've gotten this thread off track - sorry. Ignore me, I'll start a new thread.

Hey, anybody got Charcoal stripes ????

A nice stripe to go with your charcoal, 6 years of waiting, and a lot of luck! :D

In other words... You may be well off just starting from scratch. It would be wonderful if you could track down a Charcoal Stripe right off the bat, but it sounds like even a Stripe het Charcoal is going to be a tough find.

Get a Stripe mate for your Charcoal. Wait for them to grow up and reach breeding size/age (~3 yrs old for the female). Then breed them.

All of the babies from the resulting clutch will be Het for Charcoal and Stripe. In 3 years' time, repeat the process with these offspring.

You have a 1/16 chance of hitting the "gold" in the F2--meaning, if Murphy doesn't decide to kick your butt, you should get at least one charcoal stripe if you have 16 or more eggs! =)

Good luck with the project! Now I have to look up charcoal stripes. Those just sound uber-yummy!

My odds were 3/64 to get one this year, a bit of a long shot, but not to bad.... It might take me a while longer.. Heck, I might even have to pester Brent for a male Charcoal from his lines to give it a whack.. Of course this year my luck has not been to great on pattern modifiers showing up except with the exception of bloods ( those we were looking for anyways )..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

The reason you don't see Charcoal Stripes or Motleys is because the demand isn't that high to do a 9+ year project, when you can get Anery Stripes and Motleys pretty cheap, or spend your time/cost to make Pewters which are more popular. Granted, the demand has started to peak due to people starting to see the higher contrast in Charcoals compared to Anery, but still, not that much. Plus, try to find a Stripe that isn't het Amel or Anery to use with a Charcoal that isn't het Amel. Say you did get a Charcoal with no hets and bred it to a stripe het Amel, you'd have Normals het Charcoal, Stripe, p/het Amel, raise those and breed to each other and your odds will be;
27/64 Normal
9/64 Charcoal
9/64 Amel
9/64 Stripe
3/64 Blizzard
3/64 Amel Stripe
3/64 Charcoal Stripe
1/64 Blizzard Stripe
So, you're averaging maybe 1 per clutch from however many you held back from the original pairing that you've been feeding for 3 years. That took at least six years if you raised the Stripe and Charcoal you started the project with. Now, how much do you think the hatchlings are worth, other than having one in your collection? Probably not worth at least 3 years of feeding a colony...

So how would you tell a charcoal stripe from an anery stripe? Would the eyes be the only indicator other than proof breeding?

So how would you tell a charcoal stripe from an anery stripe? Would the eyes be the only indicator other than proof breeding?

The eyes, blue eyebrows, and cheek blush are supposed to be indicators, and you are supposed to be able tell the difference when compared side by side, but those are all still just guesstimates... at least to me :D

I ahve not really read this thread but I am sure there are they would be produced very easily

Back