• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

charcoal vs lavendar vs ghost vs anery A

northwestcorns

How do I tell the difference? I have all of these and differences are soooo subtle and when I see some offered here for sale, the charcoals look like lavendar, the Anery A look like charcoal and the ghosts look like Anery A.

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I'm mainly concerned that when I start to breed next season, I won't know what morphs have been hatched.

Are they all possibilities in the same clutch? If not, it will be easy to tell them apart...you just need to know the parents' genetics. What crosses will you be doing?

In some cases, it may be difficult to tell those morphs apart, but generally, it's fairly easy, especially if you know the genetics of the parents.

Last edited:
That's one of the problems. When I got these guys, I wasn't given any info on their genetic makeup. I got a couple of them from SMR. A few from Daytona via a friend that went for me. One from PetSmart 3 years ago. The only one that I know is het for anything is one I got from Emanon a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise, it's a mystery.

AND, I can't tell the difference between picture #1 and Picture #2. I figure one is Anery A and one is Charcoal?

Here are my phenotypes available. I used the cornsnake calculator and assumed that no one is het for anything. Basically it says I will get a bunch of Normals that are het for everything.

Male Hypo 06
Male ghost 07
Male Snow Stripe 07

Female Butter 07
Female Lavendar (if Jewel does well she won't be bred until year after next) 07
Female Blizzard 07
Female Okeetee 07

New Hatchlings just acquired

Female Hypo Bloodred (From Emanon) 09
Male Bloodred ph Lavendar (From Emanon) 09
Male Charcoal (SMR) 09
Female Ultramel (SMR) 09

New acquisition

Female Amel Stripe (told it is adult. Waiting to hear about hets and age).

It doesn't look like you will need to worry about it right away. Like you said, most of the offspring will be normals with hets. If you do get lucky and pair up matching unknown hets, they should stand out like a sore thumb. So, you should have 3 years to learn the differences between the morphs before you will need to sort out the hatchlings.

In the mean time, keep an eye on the photo gallery and soak up as much info as you can. I also use this site every day when I have questions about a morph...
http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php

As Josh has said, you already have alot of information and plenty of time to learn. Depending upon how you pair your snakes, you'll gain plenty of information about any hidden hets. Then if you're careful with your F2 pairings, you'll not have as much trouble as you think telling the morphs apart.

I purposefully have tried my best to keep charcoal and anery separate in my collection. The first photo is an anery and the second a charcoal. The charcoal has a darker ground coloration than the anery, has bluish eyebrows, and if I used a photo that showed the side of the head of the charcoal, you would also see a pink blush. In another thread, I posted a link to a photo from another member that shows a charcoal and anery hatchling side by side. It was in a fairly recent thread in this subforum that asked the difference between those morphs.

It doesn't look like you will need to worry about it right away. Like you said, most of the offspring will be normals with hets. If you do get lucky and pair up matching unknown hets, they should stand out like a sore thumb. So, you should have 3 years to learn the differences between the morphs before you will need to sort out the hatchlings.

Nicely put. :D

I definitely don't mind putting in the time to learn as much as I can. Actually, in side by side photos, I'm pretty good. However, if a Charcoal is presented to me by itself AND it has the yellow on the sides of its face, as I now know it can thanks to going through this forum, how do I know if it is anery a or charcoal?

I was just hoping there were some tried and true techniques, things to look for, in determining color of hatchlings.

Hypo Blue Dilute Motley???? What is this? I just saw one for sell on Kingsnake.com. Do people ever just make up names and use them or is this one that has been around a while?

Charcoal eyes *tend* to be almost jet black. They are also, as hatchlings more "browny grey on grey" than "black on white", which is how aneries look.

Hypo Blue Dilute Motley???? What is this? I just saw one for sell on Kingsnake.com. Do people ever just make up names and use them or is this one that has been around a while?

"Blue" is the original name used for the dilute gene as it gives anerys a bluish hue. However, dilute is now the preferred name for the gene as homozygous dilutes that are NOT also homozygous anery will not be blue. And yes, hypo is also found in combination with the blue motleys, and is most often known as pastel dilute anery motleys.

Here are 2 of my dilute anery motleys (aka "blue motleys"). I suspect the really pink one (the male) to also be hypo, but only breeding trials will prove that out.

Lady_Dec_08_-_7.jpg

Phillipe_July_09_-_6.jpg

And here are some anery motleys, ghost motleys and one dilute anery motley hatchling to show you the difference in them that young. These are all from the same clutch.

Spectra_X_Figaro_motley_hatchlings_-_2.JPG

And a second clutch showing just regular anery motleys and dilute anery motleys.

Blue_motley_clutch_-_2-600x356.jpg

Beautiful pics! Love them. I wish I could see them in person. Unfortunately, I haven't been to a show and I have to depend on pet stores or the internet to see them. Pics just never seem to help me if I am looking at an individual at the store. I am going to try to get to a couple of shows here in WA, if there are any. That way I can get more experience.

Back