• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Choice of food...

pinupgrl

My husband asked me a question today that has me confounded. If an adult corn is eating adult mice... could... and more aptly should you feed them rat pups? We also have a Colombian boa that eats large rats and of course it would be easier and cheaper for us to get all rats no matter the size instead of two shipments, one of rats and one of mice. In the long run however, the health of my little growing corn is more important than convenience.

We were just curious of your opinions.

Misty

For corn snakes Rats are more fattening so you would probably want to adjust how often you feed your corn. First see if your snake will even eat rats. Some won't.

Misty -- doesn't your supplier sell both rats AND mice? Mine do, I buy rats for Marbles & get them in the same box with the mice. I've bought from several places that way. There's a little more variation in rat size than I would like (some "small" rats were a little smaller than I would prefer but I can always offer 2 small ones to Marbles, and if he will eat at all he will take multiples if they are very, very hot [actually hotter than a live animal would be]). I would think, though, that if you watched your corn for excessive weight gain, you probably could feed properly sized rats. I offer rat pinks (because I bought them because one of my 09s prefers his food furless and he's too big to live on pinks) as meals for my 09s and everybody takes them and nobody seems to be too fat, but if I feed a rat I wait a little longer than the usual interval before the next meal. So instead of 5 days I wait 7, and offer a fuzzy mouse the next time. Except Sailor Sam, who won't eat food with fur so he gets a rat pink every 7 days dusted with calcium powder because pinks don't really have enough calcium, and he seems to be growing, shedding & pooping properly on that regimen. I'd like to get him onto mice, though.

So yeah, with proper attention to avoiding obesity, I bet you could feed rats. I'd see if your rat vendor has mice, though, because shipping is the big cost in buying frozen rodents, and if they can travel in the same box with the rats, mice should be reasonably priced.

You can as a treat, I wouldn't as a staple but you could do a mostly mouse with rat thrown in diet and be fine.

We can get both however when I ordered the mouse pinkys and large rats they charged me shipping for both and sent them in different boxes. With further research into why it looks like I ordered so many rats they couldn't fit the pinkys in with the dry ice so what I've learned from that is, order fewer rats lol.

That issue being solved, I appreciate your comments on feeding rats. I was curios as to whether that would be healthy and it seems it actually may not be. If calcium is such a concern, and I understand why it would be, why do we not have to dip our pinkys in calcium powder for the little hatchlings? Or are we supposed to?

Well, hopefully they graduate from pinks to fuzzies reasonably quickly, fuzzies have more bone which provides calcium to the snake.

Edit: Sailor Sam is an 09, by now he should have graduated to fuzzies and he is plenty big enough to eat them, he takes rat pinks that are the size of fuzzies no problem, but since by now he should be getting more calcium per meal, I'm dusting his rat pinks. Doesn't seem to slow him down any on eating them.

I raised one of my snakes on pinky rats - small rats to see if she showed any notable differences. They are much higher in fat content so as expected she is my biggest snake. I did end up switching her back to mice though when she turned about 3. She was getting a little chunky =/

There is a guy who lives in St. George who breeds mice and rats. I don't know if you ever come into town or if you might want to consider having him ship you what you need but I'd guess it'd be cheaper than ordering from one of the mice sites. If you want I'll run it by him.

There is a guy who lives in St. George who breeds mice and rats. I don't know if you ever come into town or if you might want to consider having him ship you what you need but I'd guess it'd be cheaper than ordering from one of the mice sites. If you want I'll run it by him.

I actually don't get to St. George more than once or twice a year being that Grand Junction is closer for me however, I would be interested to see if he is less expensive than my current supplier Rocky Mountain Rodents. I personally DON'T want to get into raising mice and rats. And, thank you for the info on feeding rats, it seems now that I am getting involved with the rescue, I will be getting both anyway :shrugs:.

oh thats fun! If there are some in St. George that need a place to stay for a bit I have room. Just nothing too big, I have small dogs and I'm not about to house anything that can kill them =/

Back