• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cicada feeding ?

erosdq

I was wondering if i could feed my corn a cicada for a snack or for dinner what do u think cause they r everywhere around here. :idea:

Ignore my first post!

OK I just found out what a Cicada is and no...they do not eat insects. Just rodents and some lizards but try not to give them lizards. What are you currently feeding your corn snake now?

(Man those are some ugly bugs lol)

Never feed ANY wild caught organism of any kind. You have no idea what it was eating or what toxins or parasites it was exposed to.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes said:
Ignore my first post!

OK I just found out what a Cicada is and no...they do not eat insects. Just rodents and some lizards but try not to give them lizards. What are you currently feeding your corn snake now?

(Man those are some ugly bugs lol)

I'm feeding her mice it was just one of those questions that jumped into my head and i thought i ask and they are ugly bugs

Wow, I think cicadas are beautiful and amazing! (And really, really loud!) I wish I could find one.

Nanci

i used to catch them when i lived in FL. tried to house a few when i was young but could never figure out what they ate, tried everything

Nanci said:
Wow, I think cicadas are beautiful and amazing! (And really, really loud!) I wish I could find one.

Nanci

Had a year when my kids were little they did a hatching frenzy in my yard. Got to let the kids see how they hatched and had thier wings drly and fly away. Was too cool!

Cicada's in Canada?

Cicada Larvae can live underground feeding on roots and what not for up to 18 years and only live as a adults a short time to mate lay eggs and die.

Best indicator you have them is finding these:
cicada_skin_brenda.jpg

or hearing high pitched screeches that last a few seconds.

Here is a good site for a quick look:
http://www.backyardnature.net/metamorf.htm

also, I don't think corns have the ability to digest the exoskeleton of an insect and this could potential cause a lower digestive issue as well as any toxicity or parasitic issues.

Cicada stay as larva for 18 years? =O! Holy crap! I still do not know what I would think if one crawled up to me. I am not one for bugs...I used to love them as a child..I do not know what happened. :shrugs: I do grant they are very interesting!

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes said:
Cicada stay as larva for 18 years? =O! Holy crap!

Their nickname is Seventeen Year Locust. There are other species that don't take that long to mature, though.

One with blue eyes was found a few years ago- national news!

Nanci

I was like 7 or so the last time they were out full force and my dad,stepmom,&i went to a air show :boring: and they where all over me in my hair on my cloth it sucked they suck it sucks now today i was walking down the street and for a block or so all i heard was crunch cause there was know where to walk but on them

Back