• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

cleaner

dw662002

As the title say I was wondering what I could use to clean my snakes tanks safely. Is there a substitue for comercially available cleaner?

10% bleach/water. It smells, but kills nearly everything. I like the commercial Healthy Habitats, I think it's called. I use bleach on poop and for water bowls, HH for just general cleaning.

I alternate cleanings with watered down bleach and vinegar and water. I used dish soap for a soak and scrub first and follow up with the bleach or vinegar 10 minute soak. Everything gets washed and paper items are tossed. Things are returned in drying order. I have a small wooden hide that takes a day to dry out. I don't think I'm going to use wood hides again after this one is outgrown.

I use Chlorhexadine from Reptile Basics as a cleaner and it's been working great so far. That 16oz. bottle will probably last you years if you have < 10 snakes.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/chlorhexadine-16oz.html

I use Healthy Habitat is a deodorizer, but i rarely use it now because since switching to aspen, i find that the aspen absorbs a lot of the funk. Either that, or i'm just getting used to the smell of snake poo.

I also use chlorhexadine on water bowls. Soak in bleach, scrub with chlorhexadine.

I use vinegar and water to clean anything that hasn't had poop on it.. the parts that have, I use a bit of bleach and water..

Back