• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cleaning and disinfecting used tank

Tim Turner

I am thinking about buying a larger glass terrarium for my daughter's corn snake. I have found one used fairly inexpensive (half retail), but don't know the seller personally, so can't be absolutely certain that there were no health issues with the previous occupant. Can such a tank be effectively cleaned and disinfected just in case there was a problem? Or is it just not worth the risk and I should pay more for a new tank?

Here's a good link
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Cleaning-Reptile-Cages/

If the previous occupant was a reptile in order to eliminate the possibilty of it harboring mites is to fill your tub with 3-4 inches of water and set the tank in so the plastic bottom is completely submerged. After a couple of hours flip it over to submerge the top ring. This will drown any mites and eggs that might be hiding in the gaps between the glass and the plastic.

Back