• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cleaning Question

strunky

Newbie on the Rise
How do I clean the tank from the snake's waste? Do I just pick it up, or do I have to get rid of all the substrate within the area where the snake relieved itself? I read a post from him to replace the substrate once a month and to sterilize the tank, but do I have to sterilize it every time there's snake feces in it?

I just do spot checks every 5 days..picking up any snake droppings where I see it..then once a month..empty out the bedding and clean out the tank, replace with new bedding and your good to go..

I just do spot checks every 5 days..picking up any snake droppings where I see it..then once a month..empty out the bedding and clean out the tank, replace with new bedding and your good to go..

Thank you for your help! :)

Is disinfection of the entire viv (walls and floor) and accessories (hides, water dish, fake plants, climbing branches) necessary before putting fresh bedding? If so, what do you use?

I clean the viv before putting in fresh bedding. You don't want to encourage any bacteria etc. to start thriving in the new bedding right off the bat.

I also wash out the water dish about once a week as standing water can be a breeding ground for bacteria as well.

A lot of people use a weak water and bleach solution, like 5% bleach or a capful of bleach per gallon of water.

yes I just clean up where they have pooped and once a month clean the whole viv out with nice fresh bedding.

Besides Aspen, what other bedding would you recommend?

Is disinfection of the entire viv (walls and floor) and accessories (hides, water dish, fake plants, climbing branches) necessary before putting fresh bedding? If so, what do you use?

When I got the viv this weekend, I just wiped it with a wet paper towel and dried it off afterwards. I wanted to use the cleaning wipes, but I didn't know if that would be ok.

I clean the viv before putting in fresh bedding. You don't want to encourage any bacteria etc. to start thriving in the new bedding right off the bat.

I also wash out the water dish about once a week as standing water can be a breeding ground for bacteria as well.

A lot of people use a weak water and bleach solution, like 5% bleach or a capful of bleach per gallon of water.

Thank you for the advice!

Back