• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Clear vs translucent vs opaque laybox?

Brich

Most of the layboxes I have seen or heard about are transparent or translucent. My snakes certainly love their hides, so it seems to me that it is likely that gravid females might be happier in a dark laybox. Does anyone have an opinion whether it makes a difference?

Interesting question. I use translucent boxes with white lids. My females bury themselves in the moss inside when they lay. Three of my collection are in glass tanks. The rest are in bins. All get the same type of lay box. I don't notice a difference in laying behavior between the two housings. But I never really research it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else notices a difference.
Terri

I use clean bins too. the only thing i notice with mine. when the females first go into the hides. they stay up on top of the moss. but when the time comes. they drop to the bottom of the container. just my observations.

I think you're right that the females might prefer an opaque laybox, but then there's the problem of checking on them. In a transparent laybox, I can see without moving the bin whether they've laid, how much progress they've made once they've started, etc. If I gave them opaque layboxes, I'd have to pull out the bins to check on them, which would disturb them more. I am really loathe to disturb my females at any point during laying, even just by pulling out their bins, so my preference is to use transparent layboxes.

I use the tranparent boxes too. I like to able to see what the girls are up without a big disturbance. I try to have them in areas of low traffic anyway, so they don't seem to get too bothered. I only open the boxes to check the level of moisture (about once each week).

With 99.99% of the females, it does NOT matter. I've used almost transparent to completely opaque. I've even tried opaque on those bad layers that tend to hold their eggs too long. I've never noticed a difference. NEVER. Pack it full of a good medium - like Sphagnum MOSS - and she'll burrow in to where she feels comfortable. They don't seem to really "like" bad mediums - like perlite or vermiculite - for numerous reasons. Some might like opaque boxes if you use those, but I won't ask my snakes to lay eggs in volcanic rock....even if it is damp....lol.

All of my boxes are translucent now? Why? Well, because they are sturdy, cheap, and - most importantly - they WORK. That's what matters. The translucence just helps me peek in on the mommas sometimes without having to disturb her. Of course, it is more common that they make a nest inside of the moss so that I can't see her from the side no matter what.....lol.

KJ

I have a big female ghost that is a very good breeder. She's not nervous about laying and consistently produces good clutches. Just for fun, when she is ready to lay I'm going to offer her two boxes one transparent, one opaque and see if she has a preference. Not particularly scientific, but I'm curious.
I'll let you know what she picks.
Terri

Back