• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

cliché questions

anny

Rubbermaids: People say heat them with human heating pads, but I've heard that those are bad for long term, 24 hour use. (They melt and other hazards). What are my other UTH options that won't melt the plastic, easy to find/purchase in stores/online, and not too expensive?

And in case I decide to build my own enclosure, what are some good heat mat brands that don't require the mat to stick to the bottom of the tank (like ZooMed requires) and don't cost too much?

Thanks, Annie

I think that your best option is a heat tape called flexwatt. The cheapest place I found it is at www.beanfarm.com It comes in different widths and you can cut it to length. It isn't adhesive so you are not stuck to one use.

The only thing is that you have to use a thermostat or rheostat and you have to wire it yourself. I decided on a thermostat. All you have to do to wire it is cut the end off of an extension cord and solder it to the tape. Very easy. And it is a good starter soldering project if you have never done it before. I then plug that into the thermostat and plug the thermostat to the wall. Ther thermostat has a probe that you can put anywhere to read the temp and it has a dial that you can use to set the temp.

I recently had to research this topic myself and that is the product that I settled on. And I'm very happy with it.

Aaron

Anny,

I use the flex watt from Big Apple and their thermostat. You don't have any additional work with their thermostat just plug the heat tape in and place the sensor on the tape or bottom of the tub, which ever works best. There is a temp control dial that allows you to make it warmer or cooler. That is how I have my tub systems set up.

I just bought 3 additional snakes and really was not orepared to get them. I am planning on getting a rack in the next month or so, but also did not want to pass on these snakes. I just went and bought the acrylic holders for all types of reptiles from petco, and I did not know what a bottom heater would do to these boxes. So I bought some CHEAP picture frames from Dollar Tree to get the glass. I mounted the heaters on the glass and have that setting under the holder. I also attached some small glass marbles to to glass also to hold it off the table. If my temps get too high, I can elevate the acrylic boxes a little bit more above the heaters.

I won't take 100% credit for this because I actually read somewhere on the forum a rendition of this and I modified it bit.

Its not perfect, and I am not using rubbermaid but I do not see why you could not use this method.

Back