• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Climbing Is Good!

Pandora

I am sure many already know (especially from what I've read) that corns like to climb. I had a log in her tank one that I had from my beardie, and she didn't climb on it all that much. Today I at the at pet store, I got her a branch type thing that is rubberish material, and some vines to put in there to. I've never seen her out so much during the day! She loved it. Even with the three year old eye level to the cage she just kept climbing on it. I was so excited. Anyway....

That's great! I really want to put some branches in my snake's cage, but the ones at the pet store are mega-bucks and I haven't come across anything suitable just laying around outside. This weekend I'll have to go for a hike at the wildlife park and look for a good branch or two.

Congrats on the happy snake!

Last edited:
I think I paid 11 bucks for it. It only has two branches extending up. I hope you find one on your hike. Free is always a good price!

I usually just go out and find a branch or two, clean them, and either staple them or screw them together and make sure that its safe . Free is ALWAYS better!. My adults normally don't pay too much attention to them, but my babies absolutly love them! Plus it gives your snake a little bit of extra exercise. And it makes them happy too. :)

My little kaa loves to climb the vines in her viv. She even takes long naps up there.
Better view of the room perhaps? Probably planning her escape...

I know i have a pic of her "tree-lair" somewhere...
*searching* I'll see if I can find it later.

Just for reference, do any of you have an ADULT cornsnake that likes to climb...?

Yep, a few of my adults like to have a climb about. A couple prefer to spend most of their time higher up and only come down to drink or warm up after a feed.

Kel said:
Yep, a few of my adults like to have a climb about. A couple prefer to spend most of their time higher up and only come down to drink or warm up after a feed.

Hi I am Tyler Sparger and i was just wondering if they should clime and should get something so that it can clime on it

Well it's not so much that they SHOULD climb Tyler. It just seems that some of them do like to climb when they have the opportunity and it's good exercise. A lot of people keep Corns very well without any climbing equipment, so I think it's a "nice to have" rather than a necessity.

If you want to give them something to climb on, you can buy plastic foliage and vines from most reptile suppliers. If you want to go out and find your own, then you can use some types of wood safely. Fruit wood is usually OK and any kind of slow-growing hardwood e.g. oak or beech. Ones to avoid are the resinous softwoods like pine or cedar, as they give off fumes that are toxic to reptiles. Can anyone think of things I've missed?

When you've found a suitable branch, you'll need to make sure any bugs are cleared out before you use it. If it's small enough, you can bake it in the oven. Larger branches can be soaked in a disinfectant solution. I've not done this myself (too lazy - always buy pre-prepared from the reptile shop!), so someone else might have to pick up on the details if you're interested. If you do a search on the forum, you should throw up more info.

Back