• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Clutch #2 On The Ground

richm2778

Got home today to see these little guys in the nesting box. This is the 2nd clutch from this female this season. Out of the 13, I think that I have 2 or 3 duds, but it seems like it is too early to be sure. the one by itself seems tiny compared to the rest, and there are 2 others that are different from the rest. I think I should know in a week or two.
get-attachmentaspx-2.jpg

I forgot to say that some of the eggs are a bit off in color because of the sphagnum moss in the nesting box. Bottom Right, Top Left, and the one way up top seem likely candidates for duds. What say you?

I would agree, those do look a little like duds to me. But I've never had eggs before, just looked at lots & lots of pictures.

I don't really know what a Cool Lite is. I have been using a regular flashlite, and my first clutch is on day 49. I had a lot of trouble with the first clutch, and I am glad that I may have 6 out of the original 12 eggs hatch. I have had a few ruptures lately, but I think that I should end up alright.

I used just a cheap LED book light (one of those that clip on to a book, $2 to $6 most places) to candle sex my two new snakes. It worked real well, never got hot. Probably most any LED light would work, I would think.

I remember reading that it can take a few days for the veins to show up, I think my book said sometimes as long as a week. But Robbie has a thread going right now, if you haven't already seen it, that says he had visible veins at 5 days. So I guess you could try it now & then maybe do it again in a few days. Sure hope the rest of your two clutches do well & hatch out some nice looking, good feeding snakes for you!

I had a lot of trouble with the first clutch, and I am glad that I may have 6 out of the original 12 eggs hatch. I have had a few ruptures lately, but I think that I should end up alright.

Are the ruptures a humidity issue??? Just curious I am on Day 40 of my first clutch ever. I haven't had an issue like that, Dont want to either.

Hi Buzzard-

Sorry it took me so long to respond. In the beginning it was the fact that I did not even know my girl was gravid because she is so heavy bodied to begin with. My wife and I were away when she dropped her eggs. I returned to find them all dehydrated and spread across the bottom of her tank.

After that, I had to have very high humidity to rehydrate the eggs... enter the mold issue. Needless to say, out of the 12 eggs in the first clutch, I have 6 remaining. Of the 6, two have ruptured. They have not collapsed, so I am still hopeful. One of the ruptures is only a bit of fluid from inside the egg. The other is some kind of tissue from within the egg. For a few days, the tissue was pink and healthy, but now it it overgrown with mold. Surprisingly, I candled the eggs and I still see healthy veins inside it. I am hoping to hatch all of the healthy eggs and at least one of the 2 ruptured eggs.

Clutch #2 is in the incubator at this point in time. Of the 13 eggs in the top picture, I believe that I have 3 slugs. They are all a bit yellow in color, but for the most part, 9 or 10 of them look really good. The 3 slugs have not collapsed yet, so I have them in with the other eggs just in case. Although this group of eggs was expected, I must say that I am surprised there were only 13 of them.

My snakes are not corns, they are Texas rat snakes. I have read that their clutch size tends to be between 12 and 20. I guess my big girl is an underachiever. Anyway, I am actually that there are not too many because I have never bred before and I am sick to my stomach that I have lost so many eggs already. I think that I have learned patience now, and I believe that will help my second clutch to do better then the first.

Overall, I am hoping to hatch out a total of 16 eggs this year. I am not sure that I will breed again, but I really wanted to have this experience. also, I wanted my pets to experience a full life and I believe part of that experience is mating and breeding.

Rich

Back