• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

clutches

SLAYER85

ok, i get the general oppinion from this forum and most other people i have talked to that two clutches can be acheived in one year and still keep the snake safe and healthy. how should i do this? and when i hear the term cooling off, does that mean lowering the basking temperature? like raising the heat lamps? i have a major project with corns(small 4-5 snakes first then i will progress) please explain all this to me because it has always been an aspiration of mine.

To get 2 clutches from a single female in the same year, you start to try to breed her again after her first post-laying shed. This is about 2 weeks after she lays her first clutch. Only attempt this if the female is of a GOOD size and has not dropped below her pre-first breeding weight. And definately do not double-clutch a first time breeder. The only reason I double-clutch my 5 yr old or older females is that, through experience, 90% of them have , and most likely will again, lay a second clutch whether I like it or not, so I figure that they might as well be fertile. And I still always follow my above mentioned conditions. If a female doesn't measure up, she lays slugs if she is going to lay.

The coolong off period refers to brumation (hibernation), which generally is done during the winter months, usually starting late Nov to Dec. Corns are fed a last meal, allowed to digest and pass the remains, then are gradually cooled down into about the 60's F at night with daytime highs into the upper 70's F, with an occasional allowed jump into the low 80"s (sometimes unavoidable here in Florida) Low's can go into the 50's F, but should never be for long periods. After about 2 months, temps are gradually raised back to normal, then feeding is resumed, starting with small prey. Breeding will start after the first post-brumation sheds.

For further, more detailed information, I would highly suggest that you purchase and read Kathy Love's Corn Snake Manual. It's $10 well spent.

i got that manual, but i mean i got my corns in my house, how will i acheive this, i do intend on getting a snake shed later, how do i achieve those temps, allow a good amount of ventilation in the snake shed? give me lots of examples please

You shouldn't have any trouble getting those temps in North Carolina. During the winter, what do you keep your house thermostat set at? If you are a fairly "normal" person, I would say somewhere in the upper 60's to upper 70's. That is a good range for brumation. You just take away or turn off all of your snake's other heat sources, leaving them at room temperature.

I do hope that when you build your snake shed that it is well insulated and able to have both heat for the winter and cool air for the summer. Otherwise, you may be better off leaving them in your house.

if you say let the temps drop in the winter what is the point of insulating it? im kind of lost here.............

well I think she means that it could get too cold during the winter or too hot during the summer which wouldn't be very good for the snakes, and ultimately, you.

well about 8 or so days out the entire winter it gets down at or about 15 degrees, whats the lowest temp they could go an be safe, should i use undertank heaters? keep the heatlamps on? infared lamps? suggestions please

IMHO, the ideal temp is around 55 degrees. However, I live in a townhouse and can't get that temp. So, the temps Susan mentions have worked for me the last two years.(Mind you this is for Corns. (Mt. Kings NEED lower temps. IF you have those.) I would say the minimum temps should be no lower than 40 for a VERY short time
For example - A place I used to have available to me got down to about 42 degrees for a night or two. While I didn't lose any animals I would STRONGLY suggest AGAINST this low of a temp.
I would think that if you did not insulate your building that if it got to 30 or below your building inside would also be around 30 or below. Far to cold for your snakes.
Heat would also be a problem w/o insulation. In fact, maybe worse. Outside it may only be 80 or so but inside it could get much hotter. Most Corns I don't think like temps above 87-90 degrees F. for to long.
I would suggest that you do as many breeders do! That is, when you get your building set up, if not before, get many thermometers and set them up at FLOOR LEVEL inside several of the cages you would be using. This would help you know exactly what temps your snakes are at.
Okay. I guess I've rambled enough. Susan sounds like she knows what she is talking about. I would suggest you follow her advise. Not only on your building but on breeding for a second clutch.

L8r,
wc

Back