• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cobra (werner)

Werner

Corn Crazy !
Hi, I am new to this forum. I just have a question regarding breeding corn snakes. I have my first clutch off eggs in my incubator, everything looks like it doing fine, just want to make sure if its save to use a incubator that makes the heat with a light bulp.? Some poeple say its not save to have light in the incubator... thx

If you have something covering the eggs, like moss or even a damp parer towel, I don't think the light would be much of a concern. I don't even use an incubator so you'll have to take my advice with a grain of salt. I incubate in a warm room and use damp sphagnum moss as the only incubation medium, covering the eggs completely.

Not too damp! Wet eggs never hatch. I keep everything drier each year I do this.

I would be a little worried about any ~unregulated~ heat source; do you have something that will turn the light bulb off if temps get too high?
Personally I use a fish tank with submersible heater; the heater's not very expensive and will turn itself on/off as needed. The water helps keep humidity up.
The tank has a 3-4 inch layer of water and the heater; on a platform I keep the eggs in some moss. However, I've also had eggs hatch fine just sitting in some moss on a shelf at room temps.
Anyway, a lightbulb isn't inherently bad, just make sure things don't get too hot!

If you have something covering the eggs, like moss or even a damp parer towel, I don't think the light would be much of a concern. I don't even use an incubator so you'll have to take my advice with a grain of salt. I incubate in a warm room and use damp sphagnum moss as the only incubation medium, covering the eggs completely.

I did pretty much the same thing, only I had them all half covered. Almost every day I checked on them and moistened their moss. It never dried out, but I never let it get soggy either. There were two in the bottom that were covered by a clump of eggs and I didn't know about so maybe they got too wet 'cause being covered?? Either way, they didn't make it...

I would monitor the temps VERY closely if you have a lightbulb. What kind of incubator is it? If it's a poultry incubator is the rotation function disabled? What wattage is the lightbulb?

Hi, i got a poultry incubator the light bulp is controled with an Electronic thermostat. So my temperature is steady around 28'C? thx for all the info.

Hello Werner

I am in KZN and this is my seventh year of breeding corns.
I place the eggs in a 5lt. icecream container with about 6cm of vermiculite on the bottom and a few small air holes in the lid.
I place the eggs on top of the vermiculite and moisten it about every ten days.
The container is on the top shelf of my wardrobe, no other means of heating.

I have about a 96% average hatch rate over the past six seasons.

Ciao

Back