• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cold corn... Please Help!!!

missblackstar

Ok, well i brought my first snake home today, and he's been in his enclosure for a couple of hours now and he has burrowed under the substrate and he feels quite cold. He is on the cool side of the tank... is this normal??

Jen.

Well, he's gonna go where he wants to go and where he feels comfortable. As long as you make sure the proper temps are provided he can choose where he wants to be.

missblackstar said:
Ok, well i brought my first snake home today, and he's been in his enclosure for a couple of hours now and he has burrowed under the substrate and he feels quite cold. He is on the cool side of the tank... is this normal??

Jen.

Yep, it's normal. If his body temp is less than 98.6F (your approximate body temp), he'll feel cool to you. His body temp should never be above 90F, or so. Make sure he has hides in the warm, cool, and intermediate temp zones, so he'll feel safe in all zones. If you just got him today, you need to leave him alone for at least three days to acclimate. His enclosure temps should be low to mid seventies on the cool side, and low to mid eighties on the warm side. Good luck, and don't worry too much. :)

One warning: As important as any other concern is making sure his enclosure is escape proof. Do not underestimate his ability to escape through the tiniest crack or gap. Don't assume that he doesn't have the strength to push up an unclipped and unweighted screen top.

haha you got there before me with that message!!

Thanks for the advice.. i understand they are very good escape artists.. i have a viv with sliding doors and am going to buy a lock for it, but in the meantime i am using something similar to a rubber wedge i hope thats ok!! Im soo worried he will still push it open though!!

Will be posting pics as soon as he comes out of hiding!!

Thanks again,

Jen.

missblackstar said:
ok cool, but in general do snakes usually feel cold to touch? I am really worried.... :(

Jen.

I already answered this, but I wanted to add (if you didn't know) that snakes are endothermic, relying on their surroundings to maintain body temps. He'll probably always feel cool to you. It can be a little startling at first, especially if your pet experiences are mainly with mammals. Wait until your snake poops on you; the fact that it's usually cold somehow adds a new level of disgustingness to the situation (in my opinion). :awcrap:

missblackstar said:
Thanks for the advice.. i understand they are very good escape artists.. i have a viv with sliding doors and am going to buy a lock for it, but in the meantime i am using something similar to a rubber wedge i hope thats ok!! Im soo worried he will still push it open though!!

I can't remember which poster, but there is someone here who uses suction cups to secure his sliding viv doors. He doesn't even use locks. I think this sounds like a great idea, and if I had sliding viv doors, I'd do it.

CAV said:
:-offtopic Nice Gene Simons Snow ya got there Dean. ;)
:-offtopic That's gotta be one of the best pics I've seen in along time :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Back