• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cold Food

HoldenBurn

Well I'm a bit new to this and I was just wondering what harm can come from feedgin corns pinky's that have not thawed properly?

And don't worry I haven't done this I made sure it was completely thawed before i fed! Just wondering. :shrugs:

There's a good possibility of sending the snake into shock and potentially killing it. You always want to make sure the pinky is defrosted and warmed to at least room temperature. This doesn't take too long in warm water with a pinky - but with larger sizes of feeders it might be advisable to put the mouse in a plastic bag and then place it in water - simply so it will be easier to physically feel the mouse and make sure no cold spots remain. Pinky's are easy to un-thaw, just remember with the temperature of the water that you're only looking to de-thaw the pinky, not cook it.

I've heard microwaving mice-icles suggested every now and again, but I'd avoid it.... It's too easy to over do it and possibly have a mouse explosion on your hands. I don't know about you - but thats not a mess I want in my microwave. And also it more difficult to get the thawing just right, the outsides may be scorching hot while the inside is still semi-frozen. Ever microwave a burrito at too high a heat only to find that the outsides are scorching hot while the inside is frozen? For us its just unpleasant, but for a snake it could prove dangerous.

I'd worry more about a regurge than going into shock, but either way, you don't want to go there.

Back