• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cold Weather

nicali84

With the cold weather and snow here at the moment, the temperature in my snake's cage has really dropped. I've turned up the termostat, is there anything else I can do to raise the temp in the cage?

Is it a glass tank? Put something over the warm side, like plastic wrap. Maybe about half the tank? Make the heat from the UTH cross the tank to exit.
You'll have less ventilation, make sure it doesn't stay too humid.

Is your house heated? If the temperature is ok for you it shouldn't cause problems in a viv, in theory. How is your viv heated? How is the temperature being measured? Is it a wooden viv?

We are in a flat, and it is heated. It's a glass viv and it's being heated by a heat mat controlled by a thermostat. The temp is measured with a digital thermometer. The reading is in the low 70's and the snake has buried it self under the substrate close to the heat mat, which he never does.

Is the low 70s temp at the heater? It should do much better than that even if it's cold in the room.

Or a new thermostat. Try it without the thermostat, watch the temp in case it goes too high.
Do you have it on an extension cord?

Does the floor of the tank above the mat feel warm or hot to you? If so, then I'd suggest a new thermometer instead. At the ideal 85-88 degrees, the floor of the tank over the mat should feel lukewarm at most. Any more, and it's a sight hotter than 70 degrees.

Does the floor of the tank above the mat feel warm or hot to you? If so, then I'd suggest a new thermometer instead. At the ideal 85-88 degrees, the floor of the tank over the mat should feel lukewarm at most. Any more, and it's a sight hotter than 70 degrees.

What she said ^^^

One time I was in panic because the temperature on the hot side fall at 75 degrees, then I see that the probe of the thermometer was above the substrate.

Hi

Yes it does feel warm, but temp is still in low 70's and I have taken the themometer off now.

And also, yes I do have a screen top.

What she said ^^^

One time I was in panic because the temperature on the hot side fall at 75 degrees, then I see that the probe of the thermometer was above the substrate.

So should the themometer be under the substrate, because I have it sitting just on top...

I would say yes, the thermostat probe should be under the substrate, right on the glass above the heat mat. This is because the temperature down there is usually higher, and should the snake burrow down to the glass bottom, you'll want the temperature to be safe. For instance, the temperature above the substrate might be in the low 70s now, but beneath the bedding it might be closer to 80 (if the pad is working).

Hope I understood your question correctly!

The pads I've had will get to 120 degrees without a stat. Too hot is more dangerous than too cool, so personally I'd put the stat back.

Okey dokey, I shall put stat back on and move prob under substrate to the glass. Thanks for all your help, will let you know how I get on.

Back