• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Collapsed neck area

scubadiver

A week ago my butter male was fine and eating. I was attempting to feed and cleaning his tank tonight when my mom noticed the first quarter of the belly behind the head was seriously collapsed, completely concave. It looks exactly like this old thread. I know it sounds like the end of the line for him, that thread is very old, and I'm hoping something more has been learned since then. I'll contact one of the local experts tomorrow, but was hoping for some good news.

Oh, and I meant to add, I didn't want to disturb him any more, so I didn't take any pictures. But, he looks exactly like the pictures in that thread.

Im not sure, exactly as to what could cause such a thing but it sounds like an emergency situation. If you can get to a vet I would definitely suggest doing so.

RIP

Figured I would up date this in case it happens to anyone else. He finally did pass away. He had stopped eating so my dad mixed up a nutrional formula for him and force fed him. It kept him going for a while longer then the others we had found on the internet but he eventually passed. The female i bred him to had eggs but unfortunately reabsobed them. :sobstory::cry:

I very sorry for your loss, that must have been so terrible, esp. to see him go through that. I too have a very sick Corn who is struggling to stay alive and is progressively failing worse and worse. Mine is obviously suffering and I have come to the conclusion that it is time to "let my baby go". It will be much more humane that continuing to push and fight to keep him alive. I know in the midst of your loss you feel it was unfortunate that you lost the clutch he sired, but maybe it was for the best, you never know how many babies may have been genetically affected the way he was.

Yes i did consider the probability of the babies having the genetic problem to which is why it was not totally devastating losing the clutch. I was planning on euthanising him with in the next day or two but he passed before i was able to.

I'm very sorry for you. I have lost a few snakes and they have been tough, but they were all very young. When they are very young you know they are very fragile and vulnerable. I can only imagine it is harder on you when the snake is an adult and you have had it for a while. Sorry.

I did not read the old thread completely, but I assume no one has figured this thing out? What exactly happens to the snakes or why?
Jimmy

I had an adult do that when handled while he was ill with stomatitis & RI. (the stomatitis was supposed to be a scar from an infection treated the year prior, but he was making loud breathing noises upon arrival, so I guess it was an old infection that wasn't completely gone & came back after the stress of shipping/new home). Anyway, he got abx, mouth surgery & more abx & I haven't notice him doing that since.

I also noticed it lower in the stomach area on an older female that lost a lot of weight after laying this year. She ate a snack the next day & another a couple days later & just finished her post lay shed. I haven't handled her since removing the eggs, so not sure if she still is having that issue.

The collapse was right behind the head and went for about 3 or 4 inches. After my dad forced some nutritional fluids down him a few times it sorta went away but after it occured he refused to eat on his own. I have noticed some sorta sneezing or something prior but it had gone away.

Back