• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

college/dorms

anny

I'm a junior in highschool and I've begun the long, strenuous search for colleges. Does anyone know of colleges that would let me keep a snake in the dorm? Also, I'm contemplating minoring in herpetology, but it's such a "unique" area, apparently, that I still haven't found a school that offers this as a major or a minor. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Annie

It probably depends on the school.

At my school, in the dorms you can only have fish. No other animal of any type, just a fish or so (the ones I saw were always in crappy little bowls, no one had a filter or anything). You couldn't have candles either, even if you didn't light them.

I only lived in the dorms for the 1st year, currently at my appartment, we're not allowed to have "pets" but they failed to explain what a pet was. I am sure they would have no problem with my fish, and maybe/maybe not with the snake. I interpreted it to mean no dogs or cats which could piss on the floor or something.

My guess is that you won't be suposed to, but depends on the school and how strict they are, and your RA. Apparently when my dad went to this same school in the 70s, his friends smuggled in a cat, but that's completely different.

In my college the dorm rules state that any pet has to be able to hold its breath under water for at least 15 minutes. So fish, turtles, salamanders, etc are ok. A friend of mine has her snake in the dorm and I'm sure that nobody will ever say anything.

The problem will probably be that since you will be an incoming freshman, you have no idea how any potential roomate will deal with living with a snake. After you sorted things out youll know people and be able to find a roomate who you know will be comfortable with your awesome little pet :D

I wouldnt worry too much about trying to major specifically in herpetology right now, thats what grad school is for. Definitely look for a school that can offer you a zoology program, or at the very least a school that you believe has a strong enough biology department to support your future goals. I personally have to promote small liberal arts colleges because I can honestly say that your professors will actually care about your future.

Good Luck in the college search!
:cheers:

Bowling Green State University has a herp lab and some of the students keep their snakes there. In fact the head of the lab Dr. Underwood is currently doing genetic research with corns. Its flat cold in the winter and they have terrible school colors (brown and orange) but maybe looking at which schools have a herp lab could narrow the search. Plus at BGSU you are only 15 minutes from the Toledo zoo where you can volunteer in the Reptile house and maybe work your way into a job. If herping is what you want to do go for it but I think zoology with a herp minor is the way to go, it gives you the most options.
Peace
P.S. its your future remember grab it.
:grabbit:

Clemson has a great herp program and I think one of the Florida schools does too.

If that is your calling, you may be in for a long ride. Most departments offer Herp specializations at the graduate level only.

The University of Florida is the one you were thinking of. Nice school; Good B-Ball, Football, and lots of wild snakes in the area.

good luck...

finding a school that allows any pets in the dormitories other than gold fish. my college was pretty strict about pets being in the dorms and if a student was caught with one they were written up and if they were caught with one and had been written up for other things in the past (drinking, vandalism, etc.) they were kicked off campus.

i had a very clean record at my college and i was a resident assistant for a year. i managed to sneak in a hermit crab for a while and never got caught and i have friends who have housed in their rooms anything from rats to leopard geckos to kittens.

my guess is you won't find a school that offers the area of study you are looking to go into that will actually allow pets in the dorms...but i recommend that you sneak it in and see how it goes. usually your RA'S, RD'S or campus life staff will not enter your room without giving you notice unless their is an emergency such as a firedrill and they need to make sure all students vacated the building. when you know they are coming to do a room check hide the terrarium in the closet, under the bed or just throw a blanket on top of it even. IF you are caught...plead ignorance or take the warning or write up, pay the $25 fine and bring your snake home or find an off-campus friend to care for it while you are at school.

i'm running into similar issues in trying to find a studio apartment to move into this june. VERY few places in NJ allow pets, but most places mean cats and dogs when they say NO PETS allowed so i'm gonna sneak in Norbert and see what happens. good luck finding the right school and enjoy your college years...they really fly by :)

I've always operated under the "Aquarium Rule" when it comes to pets in places I've rented. Ask if they allow aquariums, then I would always have a pet that lived within an aquarium. If they didn't directly specify fish, well then shame on them. ;)

In my dorm room at Indiana University, I didn't have a roommate (thank the lord). And the only person who came in was the cleaning lady to clean the bathroom between my room and the other room every other week.

So I housed my aquarium critters in my closet. They had sliding doors, and nice wide shelves. I just made sure that on cleaning day my closet was closed and locked if I wasn't in the room. Which wasn't a problem as I didn't have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays anyway.

I'd give it a month before bringing it to school with you, just to make sure if you had a roommate, they would be ok with it. And to also test out to see if your RA was a prick or not. Most of them don't care, but some of them think God himself appointed them to that position and they took glory in making your life hell. It'll also give you a period of time to work out where you would keep the snake, in what sort of container, and where you will store it's food. Some dorms don't allow microwaves nor mini-fridges, so you have to think about that aspect as well. If it's a busy dorm, I'd more than likely use a latching lidded Rubbermaid type of container. Those are easily overlooked in a dorm-type of environment.

You've got plenty of time to think about it yet. Just make sure you choose the college that's geared towards your academic interests rather than one who allows pets in the dorm. ;)

Thanks everyone,
And Taceas, I'm definitely looking for my academic interests, but having my snake along would be such a wonderful addition. Thanks for the advice.

i might be moving up north and decided that I will be purchasing a snake AFTER I move to the new city. I think it would suck for you and the snake if you have to move everything.

Back