• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Color morph of new snakes

Redalbino

Hello, I just recently purchused 2 new corns from a man that was selling them as ghost corns, Im not that good at recognizing the different colors yet so would like some help with confirming it.

Attachments

• cornsnake.jpg
    cornsnake.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 185
  • cornsnake2.jpg
    cornsnake2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 185
  • cornsnake3.jpg
    cornsnake3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 185
  • cornsnake4.jpg
    cornsnake4.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 186
  • cornsnake5.jpg
    cornsnake5.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 186
I may be wrong, but I don't think this belongs in the breeding/egg production section:nope:

Lol, I was just teasing you. I don't even know myself. Not even sure if it matters.
As far as the pics, I do not own any ghosts so I am not sure how darks the coloration can go. They may be ghosts, almost look like adult Charcoals to me though.

They may be dark ghosts as I've seen snakes listed as ghosts from breeders I trust that are as black as the blackest anery. I personally wouldn't knowingly purchase a ghost that wasn't obviously a ghost, but I also know that anery based morphs tend get more melanin as they age. I would test breed them to known hypo (insert combo gene here) and see what hatches out. Rich has always called hypo a 4-letter word and I've learned to agree with him as I've personally hatched out non-hypo=looking snakes whose genetics must be homozygous hypo or the genetics of the phenotypically hypo parents is so messed up that there must be a new gene in there somewhere.

I realize the general "rule" is that it's either hypo or anery (one thing or another). However, the deeper I get into corns, it seems some rules can be bent, and in some instances, completely broken. Is it possible that both genes are occuring homo simultaneously, and that there is a "bleed through" effect happening in some instances? Or put another way, in some instances, genes which are not believed/supposed to be codominate -go codominate anyways? Would this be more likely to occur if the parents are super-overloaded with 'too many hets to list'?

I realize the general "rule" is that it's either hypo or anery (one thing or another). However, the deeper I get into corns, it seems some rules can be bent, and in some instances, completely broken. Is it possible that both genes are occuring homo simultaneously, and that there is a "bleed through" effect happening in some instances? Or put another way, in some instances, genes which are not believed/supposed to be codominate -go codominate anyways? Would this be more likely to occur if the parents are super-overloaded with 'too many hets to list'?

I think you just confused me :eek:

If a snake is homo hypo and homo anery it is a ghost.

I'd guess the snake in question is anery, and *possibly* also homo for hypo (which would then make it a ghost, a dark ghost..but I wouldn't bet on it)

thank you for all the replies :) I purchased my first incubator online today, I do plan to breed them maybe next year when I understand more about corn snake genetics, If you know any good websites or books that could help me please let me know.

thank you for all the replies :) I purchased my first incubator online today, I do plan to breed them maybe next year when I understand more about corn snake genetics, If you know any good websites or books that could help me please let me know.

These 2 websites have excellent photos of the different corn snake morphs.

Corn Snake Morph Gallery

Ian's Vivarium - Guide to Corn Snake Morphs

You can purchase 2 excellent books on corn snake morphs and genetics here:

Corn Snake Morph Guide and Genetics for Herpers

Back