• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Color Question...

bityrock

Ok I have a question about Colorings...I'm trying to get the Husband to understand about why it's a snow and not an albino and why the albino is called that when it does have color to it. I have a snow and he keeps saying that it is in fact an albino because it has no color to it. Thanks for any help. Here is the pic of my snow possible girl.

Attachments

• Snowy2a.jpg
    Snowy2a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 124
well most things albino are white,

tell him there are 3 albinos, white aka snow, red aka amel and black aka anery.

i dislike people just calling amels albino's due to the confusion, amel/red albino is just as easy to say and it clarifies the morph for new people.

Great thanks so much...of course I just got the "I told you so" as well...but hey what can you do? So If I breed a normal male to my Snow (when Old enough and big enough of course) what would I get?

Actually, he is closer to being "correct" if you consider what most people think of as being an albino. A snow is a combination of red "albino" and black "albino". However, the use of the word "albino" for corn snakes is more frequently used by pet shops and those that really don't have a clue about corn genetics. To them, if it has red eyes, it's "albino". I had a Petco employee call a butter corn a "yellow albino". Don't argue with your husband (he'll never admit you are correct anyway) and just try to train him to use the proper terminology for the different corn snake morphs...amel, anery, snow, etc.

yea a snow would be considered more of a true albino(lack of pigment). since the amel(red albino, has no black pigment) and anery a(black albino, has no red pigment) are experced in one animal visualy, the lack of both red and black leaves white and pink and a hint of yellow in some cases. so your husband is right calling it and albino because it is. but i too rather people call amels, amels or red albino and not albinos.hope i helped. blizzards are even a "purer" for of true albinos.

Don't argue with your husband (he'll never admit you are correct anyway) and just try to train him to use the proper terminology for the different corn snake morphs...amel, anery, snow, etc.

yea just let him no he's right, but.... that in cornsnake world ( :) ) we label morphs, so you call them by there morphs.

and so what if us men dont like to be wrong... hehehe .:dancer:

1. a person with pale skin, light hair, pinkish eyes, and visual abnormalities resulting from a hereditary inability to produce the pigment melanin.
2. an animal or plant with a marked deficiency in pigmentation.
from dictionary.com

IMO,This definition would make you both right, although the first definition when applied to snakes would make you "more" right. Humans lacking in Melanin have no obvious underlying pigment, so they are white. Reptiles lacking Melanin do, hence an Amelanistic reptile "loses" it's dark melanin colors exposing the underlying pigment, reds and yellows. Whereas Anerythristic reptiles lack the pigment for red exposing the melanin and some yellow. So a snow "loses" the darker colors and the reds leaving a mostly white snake with some yellow...at least this is my understanding of it, again IMO...

There are a lot of different definitions for albinism. In my opinion, when someone decides to use that expression (specially aiming at books or other media), that person should first precise which definition he goes by. The terms amelanistic, anerythristic etc leave much less space for ambiguity. I avoid using albino, but if I would, I would use it as a general expression to designate a color anomaly based on an organism's failure to produce a (or all) normal pigments. I guess this would be useful when you're not too sure what you're dealing with ; eg. a form of albinism, which could be partial or complete. However, "red albino" still slips out of my mouth every now and then - old habit- and I think I can live with that ;)

I believe the latin root "albus", can mean "white" or "blank". It would probably be very difficult to decide that from now on, "albino" mean this or that, period. The word has been used for nearly 350 years, and it picked up convenience definitions here and there along the way. In the end, as long as people understand each other...

Cheers

I have a albino corn snake. My corn snake is red and yellow ( and a little of orange). The eyes are also red. Red eyes are one way to tell and albino corn snake. When I was at the pet store I saw 4 albinos and one white. They said corns being white does not mean they are albino.

I have a albino corn snake. My corn snake is red and yellow ( and a little of orange). The eyes are also red. Red eyes are one way to tell and albino corn snake. When I was at the pet store I saw 4 albinos and one white. They said corns being white does not mean they are albino.
well they lied to you.

well they lied to you.

Well...if I understand non-corn genetics correctly, and we're talking more than just corn snakes, there is some truth to the statement that not all white creatures are albino. It really does depend on the eye color. Snow corns are albino, as they also have red eyes. But a leucistic Texas rat snake may not be considered an albino because it's eyes are NOT red.

Back