• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Coloration help...

bityrock

Ok now I am second quessing here. I bought this guy as a Caramel male and was just told be someone that he is a ghost not a caramel. I know that about a 2 weeks after this picture was taken he went into blue phase on me.

Here is his picture hope you guys can tell me what you think.

Amanda

Karma.jpg

Seeing as how he looks like he has grey pinkish saddles and background color and the yellow on the sides, I would have to guess a Ghost as well. I just don't see that as a caramel. :shrugs:

That snake does have a "greenish" tinge to it. It might very well be a Caramel. Could you post some better pictures taken in natural light. Make sure you get eye, body and ventral shots as this will make it easier for identification.
Jay :cool:

I'd agree with Becky. Although Caramels look aneryish when young, the warm brown tones increase with age and none of mine are the least bit pink. My Ghosts range from brown saddles with gray background to pink saddles with a beige background. All of them have yellow cheeks. A Caramel, to me, should remind you of Cracker Jack.:)
Terri

It is really hard to see in that picture, except it looks like a adult not a young snake, so whatever color it is it will remain.
I do have a question what is an amel zipper motley (do you have pics)?
Is that water dish that guys all the time? Looks kind of small for him.
Whatever he is, he is a handsome dude.

The amel motley pictured in post #2 was sold to me as a zipper motley. I guess some also call them aztec or zigzag. :shrugs: His patter looks more like a zipper than the others so guess thats why they call them that.

:-offtopic
It is really hard to see in that picture, except it looks like a adult not a young snake, so whatever color it is it will remain.
Is that water dish that guys all the time? Looks kind of small for him.
Whatever he is, he is a handsome dude.

The amel motley pictured in post #2 was sold to me as a zipper motley. I guess some also call them aztec or zigzag. :shrugs: His patter looks more like a zipper than the others so guess thats why they call them that.

I've seen the term "zipper motley" used a few times and all the ones I've seen photos of should more appropriately be called pin-striped motleys. Using the term "zipper" creates some confusion as that term is more associated with zigzags and aztecs, which the motleys are not. True "zipper" zigzags may have a similar pattern to some of the pin-striped motleys but the major differences are the checkered belly and lack of the motley gene.

Back on topic:

Even though better photos would give more proof of the genetics behind your snake, the one provided does look more like a ghost than a caramel. The head coloration and pattern is an almost dead giveaway as I've never seen a caramel have such a light and faded head pattern, but plenty of ghosts like that.

AS for the water dish no I had bought a corner one for him and really didn't like it so I put that in for the night so he would at least have some water and got him a new bigger one the next day. As for the pictures of the Amel Zipper Motley, here is a picture of him.

zigzag%20amel.JPG

:laugh01: Wow I must have been tired when I posted that because I completely forgot the link to what I was talking about. Here it is-
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66042

Sorry if that was confusing. This guy is a motley with a nice white belly.

AS for the water dish no I had bought a corner one for him and really didn't like it so I put that in for the night so he would at least have some water and got him a new bigger one the next day. As for the pictures of the Amel Zipper Motley, here is a picture of him.

View attachment 81406

So you bought this snake from Becks???

Once the money clears the bank I bought all the one's listed in the post she put up there. I can't wait to get them here

View attachment 81406

A wonderful example of a partial "pin-striped" motley that also has some small "Q-tipping". His het caramel status is quite obvious from his rich orange tones.

This anery "zipper" zigzag shows how confusing some looks can be, but his obvious belly checks shows his true genetics. For comparison, here is a fully pin-striped anery motley with a wonderful white belly.

Last edited:
A wonderful example of a partial "pin-striped" motley that also has some small "Q-tipping". His het caramel status is quite obvious from his rich orange tones.

This anery "zipper" zigzag shows how confusing some looks can be, but his obvious belly checks shows his true genetics. For comparison, here is a fully pin-striped anery motley with a wonderful white belly.

Thanks Susan. That helps understand the differences better. The male was sold to me as a "zipper" came from a butter mot and an amel mot pairing. He has no checkers on his belly. I guess the correct term as you have stated should be Q-tip or pin-striped motley. :)

Hi Susan, CAUTION OFF-TOPIC: Is this one yours
here is a fully pin-striped anery motley with a wonderful white belly.
if so does this one have the end of his tail missing? Bad shed? just curious? K

Hi Susan, CAUTION OFF-TOPIC: Is this one yours

if so does this one have the end of his tail missing? Bad shed? just curious? K

Yes, he's mine, and he did lose the end of his tail a long time ago as a hatchling to an accident with a deli cup lid (if memory serves me correctly).

Back