• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Complete Newb

Aladrien

Hello everybody! I'm completely new to the snake world. I was just wondering if a corn snake is the best beginner's snake to buy?

I'm getting one in a week, it'll be my first reptile.

Just do some research, if it looks like something you can handle, go for it. It also depends on what you want, if you want a big snake, aboreal, exotic, or maybe something that eats fish then you don't want a corn. I guess some snakes are eaiser to take care of than others, it's a matter of how much work you're willing to do.

I would say so without blinking an eye. Saying that I would recommend that you first get a copy of Kathy & Bill Love's "CornSnakes, the Comprehensive Owner's Guide" first and read it cover to cover before going out and buying one.

There can be issues with a new one, such as one that doesn't want to eat and you need to feel comfortable with what may have to be done, just in case you end up with one of them.

Another good book to purchase and read cover-to-cover, "Cornsnakes in Captitvity" by Don Soderberg. Both are great for inexperienced (and experienced) snake owners.

Also, read through the FAQ at the top of this forum or some of the older threads, it'll probably answer a lot of your questions! :)

It is one of the best beginner snakes to buy but that doesnt mean it is easy too. Sure it is a relatively low maintanance pet but you still have to look after it, and make sure you do all the research BEFORE you buy, just the other day someone posted that their corn died because they bought it and didnt know what to do with it, and just now after it died they are doing the research, that is not the way to go, so just a word of warning make sure you know what you are doing.

Good luck

Back