• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Concerned for a friend (snake related)

Jenn

Hi all.

So I have this friend, who I'll call L. I met L during my undergrad and he was a few years younger than me. He's into all sorts of snakes and pretty much any pet you can keep in a tank. He even started up a small feeder business out of his home. Every time I went over, there were always roommates and lots of friends hanging out. The vivs were mostly in his room, and a few out in the living room. All decorated and generally awesome looking.

Fast forward two years. I graduate and move back home for a year. I would often come to town to visit, and my visits usually involved going to his house to say hello and catch up. In hindsight, there was a gradual change. Fewer people, more snakes.

I started graduate school this year and moved back. I didn't see him until a few months ago, though. As soon as I walked in I was really taken aback. Vivs were everywhere. On the kitchen table, the tv was put on the floor and vivs now filled the entertainment center completely. No one was home but him.

He began showing me and a mutual friend I brought over all his new snakes. Most notably a rattle snake. Its viv was in the living room placed on the entertainment center where his tv used to be. There was also some sort of large python in a viv next to it, and the weight was pulling down the shelf. Causing the rattle snake viv to slant downwards. It became a trend as he showed us each new pet that all I seemed to ask was, "is this one venomous, too?" (My snake knowledge only really consists of basic husbandry of corn snakes).

He even had some tarantula looking spiders. He said they live in some tropical ecosystem and in the wild, when they are fully grown, they hunt birds. I'm not sure how many of these new animals have the capacity to kill a human besides the rattle snake. I have visited homes before that kept venomous snakes. In my limited experience, the snakes were always kept in their own room. Their vivs were stacked meticulously, and the owner could only open the viv if it was slid out. The vivs definitely were not placed haphazardly on any open shelf in the entire house.

The biggest red flag to me was when he confided that he had trouble with the rattlesnake. He said, "Cleaning its cage and feeding it is really hard by myself, I've had some close calls." I asked if he was planning on getting rid of it he said "I don't know. I got it from someone who didn't want it anymore." And went on to the next animal.

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to express my concerns in what I believe is a situation that has the potential to get very serious, very quickly.

My question to you all, as people who I gather keep plenty of snakes, and lots of different kinds, is what should I say? What's a proper way to bring up my concerns that don't sound like I'm attacking him? In other words, what is a way someone could talk to you about something like this that would make you want to listen to the concerns, and give them serious thought?

I realize my last sentence may seem like I'm saying you all may be keeping snakes in an unsafe manner. That is not at all what I meant. I just mean as other people who love snakes like my friend L does, what is a proper way to approach this with him?

Jenn - I don't have an answer. Does your friend have some form of OCD? That could be most of the problem, but I don't know how to approach it.

Are permits required in CA to keep venomous snakes? If so, does he have them? If not, that might be an approach. Are any of them native to CA? If so, permits may be required there as well. Maybe worried about the legalities would be an approach. I'm just throwing some things out there.

You are a good friend to be so worried and concerned. Best of luck and do keep us posted. Thanks.

Coming from someone who's been to the dark side of getting in over his head, you really should have a serious talk with him about the number of animals that he has. If he's finding it hard to properly care for them, then he really should think about thinning the herd. I would definitely talk to him about it, though. Mention your concern. He'll probably get a bit defensive, but if he really sits down and thinks about it, he'll see your point.

Pugsley-- I searched CA fish and game website. It says all pit vipers are not allowed with the exception of several kinds of rattle snakes and sidewinders. He may have some illegal snakes, and I can't remember what kind of rattlesnake he has.
As far as OCD goes, I really don't think so. Although I'm working on a masters in school psych. we don't really cover abnormal psych. I have only had one introductory course in which OCD was discussed. But, as far as I can tell, I'm not thinking OCD.

RobbiesCornField--if you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you realize that you were in over your head? If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's totally OK. Thanks for sharing your story!

I'm out of town for a few more weeks and when I get back in town I'll sit down and have a talk with him. We live in earthquake country out there, and I can only hope there's no big ones anytime soon. I'll continue to chew on this, and if anyone else has any more ideas I'd appreciate it!

RobbiesCornField--if you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you realize that you were in over your head? If you don't feel comfortable answering, that's totally OK. Thanks for sharing your story!

It was a couple of years ago, and there are a few people on the forum who will remember what happened as well.

A long story made short, I had too many animals than I could care for on my own; my animals were suffering, and I was too stubborn to do anything about it until it was too late for some of them. By the time I finally tried to get help, the damage had been done. I sadly lost quite a few animals due to completely preventable circumstances. I could barely show my face around here for a while because I was so ashamed of what I had done. Most of what I didn't lose I sold or rehomed because I could barely look at any of them without feeling an immense wave of guilt crash over me. I sank into a very deep depression, and it took me quite a long time to come back out of it. My experiences have made me a better keeper, and more conscious of the needs of my animals. What happened was horrible; no one can deny that. The lessons that I've learned I can use to not only help myself, but others I feel may be getting into a similar situation.

Edited to add:
I am eternally grateful for the members of this community who have supported me, and did not shun me in my time of need, even though they had more than enough reason to do so.

I think it is very common for keepers to eventually get in over their heads - if they are in the hobby long enough. It is a human trait to think that if a little is good, than LOTS is MUCH BETTER, lol! We (humans) tend to get immersed in our daily lives of family, work, hobbies, etc, and not think too much about the details in each segment until one or more parts become totally overwhelming. The more introspective among us will notice it first, but most seem to get to a point where they either have to cut back or they get totally burned out, and sometimes leave the hobby. It has happened to me more than once since I started in the '70s, and I have seen it happen to most of the "old timers" at one time or another. I have met a few hobbyists over the years who had the discipline and self knowledge to never exceed their limits. But I have found them to be more the exceptions than the rule. But as long as one does self evaluations now and then, and makes the decision to cut back when needed, then I don't see any reason to feel guilty or ashamed when those limits are realized, and acted upon.

Maybe you can approach your friend with concerns that he has already voiced. By reinforcing his own worries about having no back up to deal with venomous or dangerous animals, you can empathize with him, hopefully helping him to make his own logical decision, rather than make him feel more guilty than he probably already feels. When I try to help people "see the light" (not just with animal problems, but any trying time in their lives), I try to gently ask questions that will lead them to answer themselves in a logical way. Of course, I try to do this at a time and place that is not stressful in order to allow them to answer themselves logically instead of emotionally. In such a setting, if you can tell your friend that you just have his safety and best interests at heart and ask if he minds if you ask a few questions to ease your mind that he is ok, that might start it off without upsetting him. Think up a list of questions ahead of time. Questions about whether he has thought of a back up plan yet for dealing with venomous animals, and who will take care of his collection if he gets sick or injured. I am sure you can think of lots more. If he doesn't feel threatened or attacked, and feels the love behind it, maybe he will think about his situation from a different perspective than previously.

Robbiescornfield- Thank you for sharing your experience! You definitely come across as a warm, caring individual. We all make mistakes--no one should judge you for yours. I definitely don't!

Kathy--You sound like a natural counselor/therapist to me! Using questions is such a great idea, let him reach his own conclusion with little direction. Sounds like a great way to set up a conversation where it doesn't come off as "you're wrong, I'm right, listen to me and do what I say." I'll have to start thinking up some questions.

My biggest fear is I approach this incorrectly and he comes out of the conversation thinking "Huh, she thinks I can't do it--I'll show her!" Using open ended questions seems like a great way to avoid that.

Thanks again guys! I am truly concerned, now that his house is empty of roommates/friends, I'm afraid he'll get bit and no one will be there. Not to make this sound like a joke, but all I could think of the last time I was at his house, was that he was gonna end up on that show "Fatal Attractions."

I can't express enough gratitude for the advice and sharing of personal experiences!

After a long discussion that is as logical as possible, without getting too emotional, you should also be prepared to possibly change your view.

We have a friend who has a good job, lives alone in a nice house, and has totally devoted his house to herps. He hardly has a stick of real furniture in the house. He spends all of his free time taking care of his huge collection. As much as I love herps, I wouldn't want to live in a house quite THAT devoted to them, lol! And I am not sure he will ever meet a woman who would want to live like that. BUT - he seems very happy and well adjusted. He has lots of herp buddies who hunt with him, and he has back up plans for when he has to travel. So even though I think it is a very unusual way to live and wouldn't want it for myself, it seems to work for him. He hasn't really expressed doubts or regrets about his lifestyle. If he ever does, I will play a little "devil's advocate" to see what he really thinks, deep down inside. But as long as he is happy and the animals seem healthy and content, then I am happy for him that he has found a life he enjoys living.

I believe we all have to be very careful that we don't judge somebody who lives what we might think is an incomprehensible lifestyle - to us! Many people tend to think that if somebody is living in a "weird way" that we haven't seen before, and doesn't seem doable to US, that it won't work for anyone. But that is not always true. It is possible that with a few modifications, your friend might be very happy living an "oddball" life. You just have to help him determine if he really is happy, or could be with just a few changes - or if he really is in over his head and would be happier with BIGGER changes.

Good luck in helping him in whatever way he needs help!

Keep us posted on this, I agree with things everyone else has said, just make sure he feels your support and try not to apply too much pressure at a time. You might also bring up how his human interaction has so dramatically decreased, ask when he last saw his family, or his once close friends? Make him realize his hobby has become his life, at the expense of long time friends.

After a long discussion that is as logical as possible, without getting too emotional, you should also be prepared to possibly change your view.

I totally agree. He should keep every single last snake if he wants, I know he takes good care of them. I just think he's doing it in..well frankly, a dangerous way. Having a rattle snake on a cage that looks as if in any moment it can fall down (with NO lock), seems to be a huge accident waiting to happen. What if there's an earth quake and the viv falls and he's not home? I don't think he's taking proper precautions when it comes to feeding and cleaning either. I'm sure there's a protocol for keeping venomous snakes, and I really get the feeling he's not following it.

Perhaps I'll do some research and ask him how he's going about feeding/caring for the snake. Or if he's thought about moving the viv to a separate room, on a steady surface, getting a lock etc etc.

The animals are well cared for, I don't believe he's so safe though. In our rural town, I'm starting to wonder if he's even checked if the hospital has any anti-venom.

I'm all for him being happy with his animals. No one can say he isn't fascinated by these wonderful, exotic creatures. His safety always comes first though.

Thanks again for the kind words and reminding me to keep an open mind! Sometimes we get so caught up in our emotions, we forget to make sure that we're being empathetic and fair :)

Another thought, from reading your posts it sounds like you believe some of the setups are not safe/structually sound. You may want to discuss that first and see if it can segue into your other concerns. Offer to help moving things around and getting better shelving set up.

I just skimmed Kathy's post, and think I have something similar to offer.

At the moment, I live alone. Well, with no other human. I got rid of my kitchen table to fit in snake racks. I _did_ buy a much smaller kitchen table, which has a snake on it. I have two 24" square vivs on my kitchen counter. I have two incubators on my other kitchen counter. I have s cupboard in the kitchen, containing snake supplies, with a 20L on top. I have a 40 breeder housing a dragon in the kitchen. The living room has eight racks with five snakes each. That is one solid wall of racks, and another with two racks plus a huge Showcase cage with a uromastyx in it. Next to my TV is a nice black wooden table with three ten gallon vivs on it. In my bedroom are four hatchling racks which house 16 babies each, as well as a six shelf juvie rack which would house 12. I have an additional 16-slot hatchling rack in the bathroom!

I am sure that if any of my "normal" friends came over they would be calling me the Crazy Snake Lady. Actually, my snake sitter is a co-worker, who is somewhat of a snake-o-phobe, but she is very reliable and trustworthy, so she is who I have stop by to check things daily if I am out of town.

Yes, I do go out with friends, but I really prefer to spend time here, surrounded by the animals I love. A number of forum members have visited, some on quite short notice, and would testify that my animals are clean and well-cared for, and in excellent health. Probably most might find it strange that a relaxing Saturday for me might be spent feeding 30-50 snakes, but that's just how it is! Thanks to speaker phones, it's a great time to catch up with other forum members, while feeding!

So my question to you would be, are your friend's snakes well-cared for? Are they clean? Are they in good health? Does your friend seem content, surrounded by animals he loves and takes pride in? Is it just space and finances that have led to a somewhat sub-par housing of the animals? Would re-organization, perhaps with the help of a female :) lead to a more pleasing environment for the human?

Nanci, If you ever decide to move to Texas...Give me a ring!:wavey::laugh:;):grin01:

Todd:dancer:

Nanci, If you ever decide to move to Texas...Give me a ring!:wavey::laugh:;):grin01:

Todd:dancer:

Too funny, Todd! Actually, I _did_ meet the love of my life here on this site, when I sold him a snake. Story!

Who else would understand a woman who has 50 hatchling water bowls in the bathtub??? Things like that just make him love me more :)

So my question to you would be, are your friend's snakes well-cared for? Are they clean? Are they in good health? Does your friend seem content, surrounded by animals he loves and takes pride in? Is it just space and finances that have led to a somewhat sub-par housing of the animals? Would re-organization, perhaps with the help of a female :) lead to a more pleasing environment for the human?

I guess I stressed a little too much in my original post about the number of snakes. My concern is his safety concerning how he is keeping the venomous snakes, in particular the rattle snake.

To be perfectly honest, it is hard for me to grasp wanting a pet that could potentially kill you. But, to each their own. I'm just worried the way he has them set up now, is just asking for trouble. I would not be so worried about his safety if he had a similar to set up as other friends who house venomous snakes. (In their own room, in a sturdy rack, etc). I would imagine those guidelines would be standard for keeping potentially dangerous reptiles? Maybe I'm wrong.

I would never ask him to get rid of his snakes. I just was hoping for advice for a way to approach the possibility of getting the venomous snakes into a more secure set up that wont make him feel like I'm attacking him.

Sorry for the confusion! I myself prefer to be somewhat of a hermit/introvert and get bothered when people don't understand that sometimes I prefer my alone time. I'm big on everyone doing whatever it takes to make them happy, and make a real effort not to be judgmental. With my friend, however, I'm concerned the method he's taking has a scary potential to hurt him.

I will still talk to him about housing the venomous snakes in a different way. I can't on good conscious let him live alone with a rattlesnake in a cage that's unsupported, nearly falling to the ground, with no lock, in the living room. One earthquake, or whatever, he's not home, his dog could get bit or he could coming home and having no idea where in the house the snake has gone.

I see nothing wrong with discussing proper housing of venomous snakes with him. It sound alike he got the snake without much planning. Maybe help him build a safe enclosure for it? Or, if he is willing, find out how to surrender the snake to a rescue organization?

Since a lot of your concern seems to focus on the one particular snake and set-up (rattlesnake on a sagging shelf/ earthquake danger) and on the fact that he lives alone and seems to take too many risks in handling the venomous, I don't think it would be that hard to work that into a conversation. Maybe he hasn't even thought about what would happen if there was an earthquake and would be grateful if you brought it up. Something like that wouldn't be so hard to fix, reinforce the shelves and have the setup somehow secured. And if you think he is not being safe when feeding and cleaning maybe he needs to find a mentor who works with venomous snakes to show him the ropes. You are a good friend to be concerned and I think if you approached it by saying I would be so scared to feed the rattlesnake, how do you do it and have you ever talked to other people who keep rattlesnakes? It would encourage the conversation without coming actoss as judging.
I am lucky to have a spare bedroom that I am able to house most of my critters in so the whole house is not wall to wall cages, but I am a bit more careful about who I let into my house than I would be if I didn't have a lot of reptiles and mice. People can be too quick to jump to the wrong conclusion!

Maybe help him build a safe enclosure for it?

This sounds like a great idea! I'll browse the DIY forum to find some instructions. Maybe I'll just try to approach it as "hey check out this thing I found. We should try and build one to really show off your snakes." Maybe I can avoid the whole serious conversation. He's super handy and into DIY projects.

Back