• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Confused about humidity & a shedding Q

wyldkat

Boo!'s Mummy
whan I came home tonight my Boo! had shed only half his body. Will the other half come off? I am getting really confused about the whole humidity issue. I put a small dish of water in the heated corner of the viv. Will this help? if not, whats the best way to help a shed?

I have head so many conflicting things about corns and humidity I am getting really confused! Currenly he only has his water dish for humidity and a heat mat. Is this enough?

Whaaaa I want him to be a really happy healthy Boo! but I am worried I am not doing enough! :shrugs:

Humidity levels inside the tank of course depend on what they are in your home. If it's too dry, what you can try doing is making a humidity box (container with a lid, cut a hole near the top of one side, fill with damp substrate or moss -mold resistant- then place in tank), or you can try adding a second larger water bowl on the hot side of the tank. Or just mist the whole tank, if you prefer. Some people do nothing for humidity and have perfectly healthy sheds, but if you give yourself a shock everytime you touch your doorknob, then extra help in the tank is a good idea.

As for the remaining shed, you can try a bath or a damp cloth to remove the excess if you like... it's important that it ALL comes off so you could wait a day (increase the humidity in the tank today) then soak him/her tomorrow, but keep an eye on your snake either way. Often snakes will lay in the water bowl too (so I hear).

Do some searching here about humidity. You'll find tons of suggestions/opinions. :)

you say "half off" is it still one piece, or has it torn? if it is still one piece then it is perfectly normal.

What I do in the dry fall and winter months, is when I notice that my snakes go into the blue eyed phase, I start misting the tank at least once a day. I do this daily until they shed. This seems to help, and most of the time they have perfect sheds. During the spring and summer months, I never have to mist, since we have very high humidity here. (I mist the tropical snakes twice a day, and sometimes even in the summer months)

As far as getting the remaining shed off. I would try putting them in a container with luke warm towels or papertowels and lettting them crawl through them. Sometimes this helps, but sometimes you do have to assist them, by using a damp towel to help remove the shed.

Hope this helps. :)

If you have 50% humidity you should have a good shed for your snake. If you don't have anything to measure your tank with a humidity gauge I suggest you buy one. Even more so if your having not complete sheds.

There are several things to increase humidity, you can mist your tank I always add GSE to my water if I am misting because it helps with bacteria that builds up with moisture. Also adding that extra moisture you make have to change out substrate much more often to get away from mold build up.

I added reptile safe plants to my viv to help with moisture.

Also, if you have a light running over your viv for heat that will take out moisture from the air, and make things drier.

However I know this winter because it gets so dry I will have to maybe use a humidifier.

For the snake to take off the rest of his shed, soak your snake in warm water to the touch, for about 5 mins then wet a towel and have your snake run through your hands using the towel to loosen the rest of the shed. Make sure its completely off by checking eye caps and tail.

I recently had a bad shed with one of my snakes, and was able to get her left over shed off using the method discribed above.

Good luck on your snake.

I live not far from you....

I have head so many conflicting things about corns and humidity I am getting really confused! Currenly he only has his water dish for humidity and a heat mat. Is this enough?
I live just over the border from you and figure the humidity is probably about the same. I don't do anything to alter the humidity levels, my snake just climbs into her waterdish one week before shed.... She sheds all in one piece without problems. I wouldn't worry too much....

The shed has torn in half and come away. So half his body is still to shed :(

I am going to make a little humidity chamber today and see if that works.

If that doesn't work give a him bath (water temperature just on the warm side of cold) then stroke him firmly downwards with a damp towel, it takes more courage than technique. Good luck :)

Thank You for all your help!!!

This morning I made a humidity box... put him in... and he buggered off! he just wouldnt stay in it. So my husband put a tepid damp towel in the bottom of the bath and let him have a wiggle.. and after a few mins it just rolled off!! :crazy02:

Mine did the same yesterday. He had a half a shed and I had a wet towel and made him crawl thru it while I was holding it. It came off super easy. I was a little surprised....

Back