• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Confusion about rack systems

Rainbow Hues

I'm trying to get a life!
I was wondering if anybody has any information about commercial racks? I have looked at most of the sites with racks and was wondering if anybody has input on the performance of the racks. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

RH

I love my Animal Plastics Sterilite 1756-10 rack. I've got a 1756-10/1754-20 on the way. Pricey though, especially after you add a helix proportional thermometer.

Rack systems

I am seriously considering that rack but my concern is putting it together, are the racks difficult to put together? They are actually one of the more cost efficient racks that I have looked at. Thanks for the response!

RH

Rainbow Hues said:
I am seriously considering that rack but my concern is putting it together, are the racks difficult to put together? They are actually one of the more cost efficient racks that I have looked at. Thanks for the response!

RH

Believe me, if I can put it together, anyone can. You'll want a powered screwdriver, but that's all you'd need. It was pretty easy.

You can do it with just a good phillips screwdriver. It will only take a little longer and everything is clearly labeled. So, putting the rack together is real easy.

Check out Natures Spirit:

www.nsreptiles.com

Casey does great work and the customer service is second to none. I have 10 of his racks and will definitely be getting more in the future.

DAND said:
Check out Natures Spirit:

www.nsreptiles.com

Casey does great work and the customer service is second to none. I have 10 of his racks and will definitely be getting more in the future.

I have to echo DAND's sentiments on this one. I have now replaced almost all of my old racks with snake shacks from Casey. I also own a couple of his incubators which are awesome!

Those who own Nature's Spirit racks:

I've been to that site a bunch of times, and it seemed like their racks had limited tub capacity, especially for housing adults. They weren't cheap either. Does Casey also do custom jobs on request, or am I missing other products (I always click on the 'Snake Shacks' link)? Their racks don't look as substantial as AP racks. Are they? What are the main differences? I'm curious, because I researched these, and I'd like to know why experienced keepers might prefer them over AP. I'm sure you have great reasons, and I'd like to hear them. Thanks. :)

Roy Munson said:
I've been to that site a bunch of times, and it seemed like their racks had limited tub capacity, especially for housing adults. They weren't cheap either. Does Casey also do custom jobs on request, or am I missing other products (I always click on the 'Snake Shacks' link)? Their racks don't look as substantial as AP racks. Are they? What are the main differences? I'm curious, because I researched these, and I'd like to know why experienced keepers might prefer them over AP. I'm sure you have great reasons, and I'd like to hear them. Thanks. :)

Yes, Casey does do custom work. The racks are substantial (to use your wording) yet light weight too. I now have them on top of a 8 foot rack I made (6 across fits perfectly). Prior to this I had them stacked 3 high with no problems what so ever. They come fully assembled, tubs and heat included. Just plug it in to a thermostat, dimmer or rheostat and you're good to go. Also, as I stated earlier, the customer service can't be beaten.

DAND said:
Yes, Casey does do custom work. The racks are substantial (to use your wording) yet light weight too. I now have them on top of a 8 foot rack I made (6 across fits perfectly). Prior to this I had them stacked 3 high with no problems what so ever. They come fully assembled, tubs and heat included. Just plug it in to a thermostat, dimmer or rheostat and you're good to go. Also, as I stated earlier, the customer service can't be beaten.

Thanks DAND. I'm happy with my APs, but I think I'm going to order one of Casey's when I need my next one. I lurk on Fauna a bit (you crack me up over there), so I've seen that he has an awesome reputation. I've also looked into his incubators, and they look top-notch as well.

And I'll take no assembly over easy assembly any day. Thanks again for your response.

Roy Munson said:
Thanks DAND.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Roy Munson said:
I lurk on Fauna a bit (you crack me up over there),

I've had a few other Cornsnakes members tell me the same thing.

Roy Munson said:
I've also looked into his incubators, and they look top-notch as well.

Once my hova-bator dies I will definitely be picking up an incubator from Casey as well. I know a few people who have them and are very happy with them.

Roy Munson said:
And I'll take no assembly over easy assembly any day. Thanks again for your response.

Definitely a plus in my book as well. Plug it in to a thermostat, add snakes and you're good to go.

I know that DAND has already stated his reasons for Snakeshacks, vut I have to ass that I like the fact that you can get more than one kind of tub into the racks. YOu can go from Juvenile boxes to adults just by switching tubs and upgrading the racks when you need it. This was you are nto stuckwith empty racks that you "just" need to fill. ANd as said before the Customer service is top notch!

Racks

Thanks for the input. I have solved the dilemma and I have ordered one from Animal Plastics and one from Nature's Spirit. I will be glad to let you know the outcome!

RH

Rainbow Hues said:
Thanks for the input. I have solved the dilemma and I have ordered one from Animal Plastics and one from Nature's Spirit. I will be glad to let you know the outcome!

RH

Can't wait to read your report.

Just an update

I have received both racks, the AP came yesterday as a matter of fact. However, I have had a nasty run in with a bug known as the rotavirus and I ended up hospitalized (emergency room docs get a little upset when they realize your kidney functions have stopped!) and I think it will be a few more weeks yet before I feel well enough to tackle putting the rack together. Anyway just wanted to update why it will take me awhile to get the comparison done.

RH

Racks

Sorry about the length of time it has taken to get back to this. What I thought was a simple stomach virus turned out to be salmonella arizonae.

I would recommend either rack as I do not have any concerns about the performace of either one. I like the AP rack because I can have more snakes in one rack but the tubs are not included with the rack so in addition to having to put it together I had to go to the store to purchase the tubs. The NS racks only have 3 tubs per rack so you have to buy more to get the same space as the AP racks. The NS racks come already assembled and with tubs so it saves a lot of time and being a single parent time is in short supply at times!

RH

Back