• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Constantly attempting to escape

jivany

Hi,

I have a 2 year old that is constantly trying to escape. When she's not wedging herself at the top of her enclosure, she's pushing against the sides. Is this normal behaviour for this time of year and this age? Last year around this time I didn't notice any behaviour like this at all.

I noticed another post about breeding season and I'm wondering if that might also explain this behaviour.

Thanks!

Jeff

As far as I can tell, and what I've read, it's just a natural tendency to explore their environment. My snake, and others too, often bump their noses against the top screen. He knows there's something out there, he can feel the air moving, he wants to explore. They also like tight spaces, and the rim under the lid is about as tight as it can get! I think you should make sure that the temperatures in your tank aren't too high (if they were, than your snake could be hanging out at the screen in order to get to a cooler temperature) and other than that, just make sure you always put the lid on tightly!

dara

Most of my snakes do it all the time, but they do tend to do it less the longer I keep them.

Alex

Actually, since he's moved to the huge tank, he doesn't do it at all now (and he could still get up there, there are branches that could get him up to the top). And he also uses the hides all the time, rather than never using them before. I guess he was just snubbing his nose at the "sub-standard" accomodations (which were plenty big for him as a hatchling!).

dara

Oops, maybe I should have specified that this is new behaviour. She's never been like this before (we've had her for about 22 months now) and up until a month or so ago, she was a very shy snake that we seldom saw. The only time she'd come out was when we took her out to feed her.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dara, I think the reason why your snake isn't so active any more is because he is in a bigger viv and because of that, there is a lot of open space and that would make him want to hind and be sheltered.

Alex

alot of people will disagree but i had this problem with my first snake and putting a male in with her has chilled her out ive had her and her man for 2 years now no probs.

I would actually agree. Snakes that seem to suddenly start roaming in springtime (and are not likely hungry) are likely looking for a mate. This doesn't mean it's best to give her one... check her size first. If she's over 240g and in good health, there's no issues with breeding her. If she's smaller than that, I'd hold off and let her be frustrated this year.

-Kat

Oops, I think you misunderstood what I meant :)
My snake has always been crazy active, in both tanks. But in the old one, he would never use the hides, only hang out under the water dish. And when he was small enough, he loved the crack at the top of the tank. He's in a constant state of being out and about now that he's in the big tank. But when he's not, he's actually using all three of the hides now and isn't constantly poking at the top of the tank. The temps are the same now as they were before, and so who knows why he's showing his face more and actually using all this stuff I bought at the pet store!

dara

Back