• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Constipated?

Zannah

Hi

Our 4 month old corn eats great and seems real happy in his new home but I'm concerned that he may be constipated. We've fed him four times since he arrived, but only twice have I found evidence of his having had a bowel motion (well, I think that is what it was!). I've searched his cage from top to bottom, but nothing. He has no lumps or bumps on his body to show a blockage or anything, and he's calm when we handle him. Do you think I should be worried, and is there anything I can do to help him?

For information, he is fed out of the tank in an empty box, his substrate is beech chippings and we have a heater with a thermostat under one corner of the tank. His viv is 2ft square.

Sorry, I forgot to say that his skin went really dull last Sunday and it's been that way since though he doesn't appear to be going into blue or anything. He's due a feed again tomorrow.

A young corn's feces are not always easy to find, especially on a shredded or chipped wood substrate. That's why a lot of keepers (myself included) keep young corns on paper towels or newspaper so that BMs or any other "output" can be monitored. But I wouldn't worry about it. A constipated or blocked snake will refuse food. If your snake's coloration is dull, it probably is entering shed. The snake may refuse during the shed cycle, but it's not something to worry about either.

Roy Munson said:
A young corn's feces are not always easy to find, especially on a shredded or chipped wood substrate. That's why a lot of keepers (myself included) keep young corns on paper towels or newspaper so that BMs or any other "output" can be monitored. But I wouldn't worry about it. A constipated or blocked snake will refuse food. If your snake's coloration is dull, it probably is entering shed. The snake may refuse during the shed cycle, but it's not something to worry about either.

Thanks for your help. I was thinking of putting him on newspaper, but he's had three different substrates already as the pet shop I bought him from (we don't have any breeders here) first advised I get calci-sand and then Maizy (corn) - I didn't know any better until I found this site. I'll let him settle for a few weeks with the chipped wood, and if I still can't find anything I'll put him on paper then.

Thanks again

Back