• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn at Petco Problem?

Charger9

So I went to Petco to buy some feeding tongs today and I was observing a baby corn they had and I noticed there were small crickets in his tank so I asked the girl if she knew they were in there and she said yes they eat them like these snakes and she pointed to Garters now is it true that they will eat those and is it good for them? Is the Corn in danger of being bitten by the crickets?

It's possible that the snake could be bitten if the crickets have no other food source in the viv. Corn snakes do not eat crickets. Someone should probably tell them about it.

Charger9 said:
So I went to Petco to buy some feeding tongs today and I was observing a baby corn they had and I noticed there were small crickets in his tank so I asked the girl if she knew they were in there and she said yes they eat them like these snakes and she pointed to Garters now is it true that they will eat those and is it good for them? Is the Corn in danger of being bitten by the crickets?

There is a better chance of starvation than being bitten by the crickets.
You might want to mention to the manager that corn only eat mice.

I just called their coroporate customer complaint number and this lady on the phone gave me a line about how their store associates have all the most state of the art an up to date training so it must be ok to feed them crickets according to her!

Phone them back, and ask for a manager right off the bat.. Tell the manager they need to look into this issue ASAP, and if there is no correction made by next week, you will contact the SPCA and have them look into the issue.. Nuf said.. Make sure you get the managers name, or they won't take you to serious..( the call center dork )

Regards. Tim of T and J

Lennycorn said:
There is a better chance of starvation than being bitten by the crickets.
You might want to mention to the manager that corn only eat mice.

or boiled chicken necks, small turkeys, goldfish and pork chops...........sorry :roflmao:

seriously, take the advice mentioned above and call back. you just might save more than one snake. :wavey:

PETCO hates the SPCA...

It is my understanding, I'm not saying it is the Gospel, but in some states PETCO can't even have animals. There is a definate problem with PETCO and their husbandry practices. Not all of them of course, but it seems to be the rule, not the exception.
PETCO and PetSupermarket are big rivals, PETCO vowing to put a store within a quarter mile of every PetSupermarket. While I worked at PS, PETCO opened three stores next to PS, every one of them was picketed by the SPCA. Look up my thread on PETCO and why they "CHEESE MY CRACKER!"

And some avatars on this BTW. I've seen Great White 11 times.

As a former Petco manager, I can tell you this - calling the 800 'customer service' line will get you nothing but a scripted response from those working at the "call center". What I would do is ask for the name and phone of the "RCAC"....the Regional 'Companion Animal' (gawd, I HATE that phrase) Coordinator. They're the ones with the power, as it were, to come down on those at the store level and make things right, including training.

You gotta remember, this is a retail business, using a retail business model. Call me a cynic, but it's McDonald's with animals.

regards,
jazz

Here, here Jazz....

My impression of pet store executives is this-
Their only concern about animals besides selling them to you, is what you think about how they take care of the animals, not how the animals are taken care of. PetSupermarket included. PS doesn't really handle animals, just supplies. It wasn't until this year they started carrying reptiles on a national basis. And only because the market has skyrocketed. Lisa worked for the PS here in Lakeland and quit due to the treatment of the animals (and her as well).

Back