• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn climbing

Navbouy24

Hi all,
Just jumped in to the whole snake thing,(after much thought and research)
I got my first corn this morning,put him in the viv,he ignored all the hides and heat pad(28c on therm,digital themom probe on substrate)
All set up ,he just shot to the top of the viv and stayed there even after feeding.is this normal,?. my flat is on the chilly side and he's sat right by a vent.
Any advice will be very welcome.

He should be fine. 28c (about 82f) is fine for the floor temp on the warm side. Most of mine live on the cool side of their vivs and rarely spend time on the warm side, even when digesting.

As a new arrival, he's probably just trying to find a position where he feels least vulnerable. A selection of hides and ground cover (I use plastic foliage, but scrunched-up kitchen paper works just as well for babes) will make sure that he has enough options on the floor to tempt him off of his perch.

We normally advise that you don't feed or handle for a week after they arrive, as they can take some time to settle in. However, Corns are pretty bombproof and that's just the ideal. Now that he's eaten, it's important that you don't handle for at least 48 hours, so that his dinner has time to go down and you don't risk him regurging.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Corns! Start working out which furniture you'll be throwing out - I can guarantee that you'll be wanting another one very soon, so you'll need to make room for that extra viv!

Hi,thanks for putting my mind at rest,i was told by the pet shop that he was due a feed today,blimey didn't mess about,how does something that big(pinky)
Fit in a small snake,it looks like he swallowed a golf ball.
I'll leave him alone till his next feed let him settle in.
Once again thanks.

Yeah mine does the same thing. They are semi arboreal so it could be a defensive thing. Its unsure of its surroundings, it knows it up in a corner where it can see everything, and its off the ground where a predator could come from above.

I know mine has a tendency to go into its hide after feeding, and then about a half an hour later or so, when i'm not looking climbing up the plant.

Back