• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

corn snake 3d art

grdn1014

.. no not on the computer :santa:

i am an art student, and for the years and years i have been involved in art i have always done 2d work. this coming semester i decided to chance my luck at doing some clay work, maybe even wood carving if i feel like getting dangerous :sidestep:

just curious if there are any artists out there with some tips or advice. keep in mind that my only experience in 3d modeling was when i was in diapers-- with some play-dough. :shrugs:

I've always heard that when sculpting, the artist usually just cuts everything away that doesn't look like the subject of the sculpture. Other than that, all I can say is practice makes perfect. You already have the artist's eye. All you need to do is apply it!

the first thing that came to mind

Classic Far Side.

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Attachments

• godsnake.jpg
    godsnake.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 47
I'm trying to think what my sculpture teacher says.
I'm in 9th grade, and have been taking a great sculpture course all year. I'd say just what Susan said, but the main thing my teacher always says is own every mark. You can get a tool and use it, but make sure that the mark it makes you wanted to put there.

I haven't done any snake sculptures, so I don't know what to say on that front. Anyway, have fun sculpting.

I think it also depends on your medium. Are you talking about sculpting with clay, or wood/stone? Maleable medium means adding to, solid medium means taking away. I have done wood carving (with the local carousel society) and liked it ok. I prefer working with clay so that I can adjust if I make a mistake or just change my mind. It's much more tolerant of replacing what you've removed. With wood or stone, once you make a cut, it stays gone. Good luck and share your work with us.

Back