• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake acting unusual

DaKing0fqueens

My corn snake is 2 1/2 years old. Not sure of sex but he/she just came out of bruMation after about 2-3 weeks. Now for the past 3 weeks he/she has been extremely active wondering about all over the enclosure. Not sure if they looking for a way out or a mate.

He/she won't even feed when I attempt to, usually goes in straight for the kill but the mouse just keeps running around her head. He's not even interested in feeding. He/she hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks now. Any ideas?

Could be weeks or months. You just have to keep offering food at his usual intervals and he'll take it again when the urge to mate wears off. It's different for each individual.

If he's not likely to kill the mouse immediately, it does increase the chance of an accidental bite. Probably not the best time to switch to f/t when he's already ignoring food, but you might want to consider it in time for next year's mating frenzy (if he's a male, then the activity/fasting is likely to become a pattern).

Once my males go on hunger strike I offer a rat pink every couple weeks or so. If they refuse then I skip a week and try again. It helps to have a back-up snake to take care of leftovers. I only feed FT, but often snakes that won't take their normal prey will take a rat pink.

Could be weeks or months. You just have to keep offering food at his usual intervals and he'll take it again when the urge to mate wears off. It's different for each individual.

If he's not likely to kill the mouse immediately, it does increase the chance of an accidental bite. Probably not the best time to switch to f/t when he's already ignoring food, but you might want to consider it in time for next year's mating frenzy (if he's a male, then the activity/fasting is likely to become a pattern).

Do they really get this desperate? He hasn't slept in weeks! Or maybe like an hr a day tops.

Yes some males become so obsessed with finding a mate that they won't eat, because eating and digesting food takes up precious time and energy. You just basically have to wait it out.

Do they really get this desperate? He hasn't slept in weeks!
Oh yes - some of them go completely nuts!

Check your basics and make sure the temps aren't getting too high (should be mid-high 80s at most) as this can cause hyperactivity. But if you're happy that the setup is fine, then the behaviour you describe is absolutely typical of a male in mating mode.

Oh yes - some of them go completely nuts!

Check your basics and make sure the temps aren't getting too high (should be mid-high 80s at most) as this can cause hyperactivity. But if you're happy that the setup is fine, then the behaviour you describe is absolutely typical of a male in mating mode.

Doesn't he feel hungry? How long does this last? Is it safe to handle him?

Doesn't he feel hungry? How long does this last? Is it safe to handle him?
I'm sure he does, but it's not high on his list of priorities right now. It could last a couple weeks, it could last all spring, but if he's healthy and robust he shouldn't lose a significant amount of weight. You can handle him if you want, but I've heard of them doing "the herky jerky" on your arm... they're very sensitive right now.

I'm sure he does, but it's not high on his list of priorities right now. It could last a couple weeks, it could last all spring, but if he's healthy and robust he shouldn't lose a significant amount of weight. You can handle him if you want, but I've heard of them doing "the herky jerky" on your arm... they're very sensitive right now.

What's the jerky jerky? Lol

It's the snake equivalent of a dog humping your leg (if you'll forgive me being indelicate!).

Back