• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake angry.

DiscipleRayne

Well, I've had this snake for about 2 weeks now, and he's always been a calm nice little guy, I've fed him cleaned his tank held him the whole nine yards. But today he was sleeping as usual and I took his water bowl out and moved the hide boxes a bit and bumped into him a few times waking him up. I went and cleaned the water bowl, and then took him out for a few minutes and held him. He kept trying hard to get away so i figured he was just tired and put him back inside of his tank, he kept being active instead of heading back to sleep, and I reached in to get a piece of torn substrate out, and I bumped him with my hand and he curled around into a striking position and started rattleing his tail. I figured he was just stressed so I let him be, but now he's really active and whenever I come near him he freaks out and trys to get out even harded. What's going on did I do something wrong? ._.

This is typical behaviour of baby snakes. They are still trying to figure the world out and being so small they must think of everything as a possible threat until fully proven otherwise. Most likely you just scared the little bugger and he's a little unsure now. Just make sure that you always use calm movements around him, especially while he adjusts, and handle him often. Let him know that being in your hands isn't scary and unsafe.

Make sure your hands don't smell like his food, and pay close attention to what lotions or hand sanitizers you use because some snakes despise certain scents (but others seem to be fine all the time. It just depends on the snake.).

Did you give him a few days to a week to settle into his new home before too much handling? He may still be stressed out by the move.

And I'm not sure if snakes are the same as other animals, but I know if an animal nips at someone to get them away, and it WORKS (you leave and stop bothering them) that they realize this is the behaviour that they must exhibit in order to be left alone... and therefore, if you just give them their space, this is reinforcing the fact that they are going to nip at you when you show up again.

Hope I helped and didn't confuse you further. If someone sees something that isn't right or isn't explained correctly, then by all means, set me straight ^_^.

Thanks!

When I was a kid, about 14 or so, my dad used to wake me up for school. First he would come by my room and turn the light on. Then a few minutes later he would holler at me. Then he would come in and turn the radio on. Then he would throw off the covers. Then he would grab me by an ankle and pull me off the bed onto the floor.

If I could have coiled and struck, I would have.

Not a baby snake. And very good point wade. Thanks for the answers and sorry I didn't elaborate on the snakes age. I bought it from a local snake breeder, the snakes 3 1/2 feet long :p

Back